Harken clew sleeve - is it safe?

NARAD123

Hi, having rigged to use the one I bought for the past couple of races, I've had to add a velcro strap round it, because contrary to the diagram on the back of the pack, the hook will not face backwards. The best I can manage is vertical. A little juiggle and off comes the sail and own comes the boom.

I don't want to risk it on the water, but seems pointless to have two methods of fixing. It slides better but what's other's experiences?

Hi, having rigged to use the one I bought for the past couple of races, I've had to add a velcro strap round it, because contrary to the diagram on the back of the pack, the hook will not face backwards. The best I can manage is vertical. A little juiggle and off comes the sail and own comes the boom.

I don't want to risk it on the water, but seems pointless to have two methods of fixing. It slides better but what's other's experiences?

It won't face backwards. Mine works best when it is just slightly facing forward. So far, so good.

My guess is that something isn't right. Rig it up, add a bit of outhaul tension, then take two photos, one from each side, and post them on the forum. Someone will probably be able to tell you what's wrong with your setup.

I've been sailing with the clew sleeve since literally the day it came out.. never had an issue and I've sailed in some ungodly conditions..

Post the pics... there's probably an easy fix

I've just installed the clew sleeve according to the instructions, but managed to lose the clevis pin. Can anyone tell me the proper pin size? Other than having the wrong pin in temporarily, the sleeve so far seems to move like it's described on the forum and on the instructions. Looking forward to trying it on the water this weekend.

I found the pin length on another thread - 1/2" or 17/32" measured from the underside of the head of the pin to the little hole, according to John C., the inventor.

Back