Handling questions

winever

Finally got the (new to me) Fish in water this weekend. Wind was 8-10 for first race, 12-15 with gusts in the second race. Running W/L in creek off the Neuse River, 1/4 mile long course. I have many questions, let me start with how to tell where the wind is coming from. I found myself looking up for the non-existent windex, oops. So what do you use? Is there a masthead fly? I did bend a coat-hanger and mount a Vee with tell-tails on the upper spar, but had it mounted at the tack. Shouldn't that be higher, near the window? Had the gooseneck set in the middle position, thinking maybe the sail could have bee moved slightly more forward? I had a considerable amount of weather helm. When I was on a beat there were times when it seemed my boatspeed was down compared to the windspeed. Think I was stalling, is that possible? Is there a place to afix telltales on the sail that will show that? Had to gybe at the leeward mark and it seemed very difficult in air above 12. I ended up driving nearly 90 degrees to my course to get the sail over. I know that's wrong, what to do in breeze above 12+? Also had diificulty at the leeward rounding getting all the sheet in without stalling. Is this an approach issue or newbie sailing handling skills?

Fire away guys, I can use all the help I can get.

One good thing, I never dumped it. Thanks, Mike 76274.

Two things come immediately to mind. You should feel the wind in your face - especially if they were blowing the speeds you said. Second, watch what the other boats are doing and how they are reacting to the breeze. I'll leave the placement of the windvane to those more expert than I.

Practice. Boat handling is a skill that you develop with practice. You'll be able to watch the waves, other boats, and develop a "feel" for what you are doing.

Good luck and keep at it!

Clyde

I saw that you got several good responses on the Sailing Anarchy dinghy forum:
http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=88601

Therefore, I will leave it at that. But if you need some further advice, let's hear it.

PS: I use a home-made vane at the end of the gaff. Just a wire with a colored ribbon that I attach with a clamp (class legal). Very useful for jibing and by-the-lee sailing. For upwind sailing, I watch a homemade coat hanger type vane with magnetic tape (pick your favorite tune). It's mounted about one third up the gaff. I have used commercial vanes as well, but I have lost too many of those :eek: at a cost $15-30 each.

Back