gybing

laser92719 said:
Is there a trick to not catching the main sheet on the corner of the transom?

Many thanks!

The Vanguard site suggests a "quick wrist trick" to flip the sheet up over the corner of the transom while gybing... I still have trouble with it, so someone else ought to explain.

Chris123 said:
"quick wrist trick"
I think what they are talking about is the move where you grab the mainsheet between the ratchet-block and the boom and pull the slack out of the sheet as the boom is coming across. It's not as tricky as it sounds; the boom always seems to hang for a moment after you tug the mainsheet to intiate the gybe, and it's pretty easy to grab the sheet and give it a tug. It's also pretty easy to position you hand so the mainsheet falls into it as the boom comes across.

The downside is that if you're very agressive about yanking on the mainsheet it's possible to flip the mainsheet up and over the end of the boom. Way worse than getting stuck on the transom! I've never had the problem (that I can remember), but I've become very careful not to not pull hard on the sheet (and to sheet in as much as I can before initiating the gybe). Usually, I just hold the sheet as the boom comes across and let the motion of the boom take up the slack.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

I have had the sheet loop up around the end of the boom. It was more frightening and confusing than anything - I didn’t capsize. I now just give a long steady pull on the sheet between the boom and ratchet block.
I also move the sheet to my tiller hand before the gybe so that I am holding both tiller and sheet in one hand. This frees up the hand towards the front of the boat ready for the pull. The books don’t suggest doing this but it works for me. It also leaves me in a safer position to recover after the Gybe - I only need to grab the tiller with my free hand.

I have watched people who role gybe. They seem to role to windward which stops the sheet touching the water and dragging round the back of the boat. It just seems to pull neatly over the gunwale. I have never managed this (yet).

Phil

I think the quick wrist snap is hand on the mainsheet (like normal) and just a quick tug, but not too much, of the sheet. This gets rid of any sag between the block at the end of the boom and the traveler block. I find it works nicely, and also helps bring the boom over quick.

1 you must control the time of the gybe you dictate when you gybe not the boat so tug the mainsheet once to get the gybe happening then
2 as you are changing sides tug the mainsheet again to get the mainsheet ova and your fixed;)

roll gybes are good too, im still yet to hook the sheet on the corner of the boat while doing one (even without the wrist trick)

what Murphs?

you might wanna also try the S kind of gybe so you hav less of a tug to do... just before gybing head up & pull you main then bear off & heal to windword and gybe then bear off to go back on a run... my explication is pretty bad... what you want to do is an S motion in the water so you speed up thru the gybe... anyways maybe somoene can write it down better ... any help ?

Back