Gudgeon placement

Cupcake

PaddleHand
I am wondering if you all could tell me the correct gudgeon placement. What is the distance between the top of the top gudgeon and the bottom edge of your deck overhang? I am curious because I put on a new tiller and it drags on the top of the back edge of the deck so it rubs while steering, just as the old tiller did.
thanks

What tends to happen on older boats is that the plastic on the gudgeon wears down from use, dropping the rudder/tiller slightly relative to the deck. Two ways to deal with it.
1. Flip the gudgeons over so the bottom of the each gudgeon becomes the top.
2. Add a small washer between the gudgeon and pintle to lift up the rudder relative to the gudgeon.

What tends to happen on older boats is that the plastic on the gudgeon wears down from use, dropping the rudder/tiller slightly relative to the deck. Two ways to deal with it.
1. Flip the gudgeons over so the bottom of the each gudgeon becomes the top.
2. Add a small washer between the gudgeon and pintle to lift up the rudder relative to the gudgeon.
Thanks, but what I need is the measurement. I have already replaced the gudgeons.

There is no exact measurement, because there is too much variance in the top rail from boat to boat. I can give you a measurement from the hull/transom intersect to the bottom of the bottom gudgeon, but again, slight variances in rudder heads, tillers, gudgeons make it impossible to guarantee that the tiller will clear on your particular combination.

If it were me, I would use use the washer method (stack them if need be) on either the top or bottom gudgeon (in the existing mounting hole) to set the tiller so it clears the deck and trav cleat. From there you can then set the other gudgeon height, and then reset the original gudgeon

There is no exact measurement, because there is too much variance in the top rail from boat to boat. I can give you a measurement from the hull/transom intersect to the bottom of the bottom gudgeon, but again, slight variances in rudder heads, tillers, gudgeons make it impossible to guarantee that the tiller will clear on your particular combination.

If it were me, I would use use the washer method (stack them if need be) on either the top or bottom gudgeon (in the existing mounting hole) to set the tiller so it clears the deck and trav cleat. From there you can then set the other gudgeon height, and then reset the original gudgeon

I don't think I want to be stacking washers or glueing them in place everytime I put on my rudder. My tiller seems to be at LEAST 1/4" too low. I am still waiting for a reply from someone with an actual measurement from their boat. Better yet, send a picture of your tiller in the rudder head. I want to see where the tiller rests relative to the horizontal top edge of the tiller head plates.

We are having a communication problem. I suggested using the washers ONCE to help you determine where to locate your gudgeons.

Here are the measurements from a 2004 hull - Bottom of hull to bottom of lower gudgeon is 1/4" From bottom of rail to top of top gudgeon is 1/8"

Again, with all the variances in the bits as I mentioned above, I would locate them using the actual rudder/tiller/gudgeon

The ones on my current boat are original ! 18 years old..
I've just last week flipped them, nothing wrong with them.
We should de rivet & renew all fasteners every other season but who does ?

The top gudgeon was flush with the bottom of the deck overhang, the use the actual rudder to,determine the bottom one. I used 1/4" hex bolts, and put washers and nuts on the inside of the hull. The transom will fall off before the gudgeon does. That would be a pic to see, for sure.

TL2

Back