Greetings from the new guy...

wildames

Hello everyone! What a great site!

I learned to sail on a Sunfish 20+ years ago. Now the kids' college fund is taken care of and I'm looking to buy a sailboat. I'll need to look for some more lessons also as I would like a boat large enough to daysail along the NC coast (when it's calm, of course). What is suitable for lakes and coastal shoreline sailing?....just pleasure cruising...no racing...4 people. Is your beloved Cat 14 enough boat? (saw a nice one in SC here in the classifieds) I'll need to trailer whatever I buy.
Thanks in advance for the suggestions. I'm looking forward to getting on the water again! :D

wildames said:
Hello everyone! What a great site!

I learned to sail on a Sunfish 20+ years ago. Now the kids' college fund is taken care of and I'm looking to buy a sailboat. I'll need to look for some more lessons also as I would like a boat large enough to daysail along the NC coast (when it's calm, of course). What is suitable for lakes and coastal shoreline sailing?....just pleasure cruising...no racing...4 people. Is your beloved Cat 14 enough boat? (saw a nice one in SC here in the classifieds) I'll need to trailer whatever I buy.
Thanks in advance for the suggestions. I'm looking forward to getting on the water again! :D

My wife and two kids (4 and 14) sail with me, and the logistics sometimes get a little tricky. (It is easier when conditions are calm, but when the wind starts blowing, people need to know what to do, when to duck, and when to move.) Last year, it seemed that nearly every time we went out, it was fairly calm weather, and the four of us had no problems on the Capri. This year however, it seems that every time we've been out, the wind has been stronger and quite gusty. It made for some very interesting sailing and required careful attention to who was sitting where and to what they were doing.

Four adults might be pushing it, unless you stick to calm weather cruising. (…just my opinion…) Either way, I really like the Capri 14, and I think it is a great little boat. Good luck on whatever you choose.

Love My 14.2

I just purchased my 1992 catalina 14.2 this spring and am learning to sail with this boat. It is a great boat. It is very easy to trailer, my wife and I can have the boat rigged and ready to sail in about 15 minutes. We sail the boat with 3 people, myself, my wife, and 7 year old son. We have plenty of room. However, I would feel cramped with 4 adults. For 4 adults look at the Catalina 16.5. There is a 16.5 listed on www.catalinaowners.com in Hilton Head South Carolina.

Good luck and Happy Sailing
Roger Lohrey

Back