Great place to sail in SE Virginia

James City County near Williamsburg , Virginia acquired a new park on the James River -- it used to be a private campground. It is right next to the Jamestown ferry, for those of you familiar with the area.

There is a beautiful beach from which you can launch boats, and the section of the river there is about three miles wide and five miles long. It is fantastic for sailing. The park has been open for a year now, and I think I am the only person who launches a sailboat there. There are almost never any other sailboats on this section of the river because there are no other public areas from which to launch a sailboat. I think no one else knows yet what a great place for sailing and launching this is.

I'd like to encourage other Laser sailors to come out to the Jamestown Beach Park on Jamestown Rd., and give it a try. Perhaps we could get together for some group sailing or speed testing.

How to find it: drive along Jamestown Road away from Williamsburg. Right before the security check for the Jamestown Ferry, turn right into a parking area. I park near the porta-potties and transfer boat from trailer to dolly, and then wheel it down to the beach (about 150 ft.). Usually there is no one in the park. Sometimes someone will be swimming, but boats and people can avoid each other easily.

There is a political angle to this as well. I want the county to see that there is a demand for sailing facilities and river access for sailboats.

John,

The park sounds like a great spot to launch & sail from! I would be interested in coming out on a weekend afternoon for a sail and can try to drag along some of the other Norfolk Navy and Broad Bay Laser bubbas... Meanwhile please come down an sail on Wednesday evenings at Willoughby Bay just over the bridge/tunnel in Norfolk. This week saw 7 Lasers and an equal number of other boats (420's/Tasar/29er) on the line; and that is a small turn out for us!! PM me for details, we are the only weekly series in Hampton Roads and open to all!!

Back