gooseneck placement

I have yet another question that has arisen in trying to tune my fish. I read the "Sunfish Tuning Guide" and followed its suggestion in making marks from 17"-23" on the boom for gooseneck placement. The problem is that my sail clip (the second one, I think) falls in the midst of that range, which will make sliding the gooseneck a little tough on the fly. (BTW, I have a North Sails racing sail.) Is this where the clip normally falls, or do I have a funky situation?

Thanks!

Personally I just left it off....LOL. I tend to be a pincher rather than a pointer so until the air gets to about 12 knots my gooseneck is usually around 12"-15" for beats and on runs I drop it back to 20"-24" so the center of moment is closer to the center line of the boat and I don't have to heal as much to keep the rudder neutral.

papayamon2 said:
I have yet another question that has arisen in trying to tune my fish. I read the "Sunfish Tuning Guide" and followed its suggestion in making marks from 17"-23" on the boom for gooseneck placement. The problem is that my sail clip (the second one, I think) falls in the midst of that range, which will make sliding the gooseneck a little tough on the fly. (BTW, I have a North Sails racing sail.) Is this where the clip normally falls, or do I have a funky situation?

Thanks!

No, you don't have a funky situation. One can use a piece of line instead of that particular clip to facilitate changing the gooseneck setting. As far as I have seen (from the back of the fleet), this is done either prior to leaving terra firma, or in between races, not really on the fly.

As already pointed out, you may want to mark settings as low as 14".

Yeah, everyone has to deal with that problem. I just left that sail tie off. Having one tie that far down the sail, and that close to the tack of it really docent effect it a lot.

Steve

I'm thinking now I'll replace that sail clip (which is difficult to unsnap) which one of the newer nylon zip ties that has the "reverse" lever for removal.

ISCA Rule 3.6.3 The sail shall not be attached to the spars by anything other than line and/or Builder supplied sail clips.

Back