Good Price for a raceable Laser

WAGS90503

Well, after 20 years of being away from Laser Sailing (well sailing all together), I have decided to drag my butt off the couch and get back into the boat. Hence, this thread. I have been viewing the adds for used Lasers and seen the pricing for boats all over the map! (please remember when I raced Lasers the cost for a new boat was $1000.00)
I am curious what is a good price for a boat now, which would allow me to be competitive in a Masters category? Do I really need to go out and buy a new boat? If so, I would like somebody to convince my wife that the kids education fund can wait!!!

I talked to a guy at the local sailing club about what my boat might be worth. It's a 1979 with a great sail, stiff hull, and good trailer. It's only been sailed maybe 8-10 years of its 27 year life(kept in a garage for the rest). He told me I should ask 800-1000 if I were to sell the boat. For that price, I would rather keep it in the family and pass it down to the kids.

there are deals out there, though few & far between. mine is a '93 & i got it for a song, but it was also from a friend. if you get a boat that has not been updated, plan on at least an extra $500 to get it up to date. I digress... one would think you would be able to pick up a decent boat in the $1500 to $2000 range... but what the hell do i know. ;^)

cheers

It sure seems to me so far that the prices south of the border are cheaper (I am north of the 49th). The search continues!

$1200US will find you a decently stiff boat w/o the upgrades.

$1500-$1800 should find you a pretty solid boat, with a decent sail, with the upgrades.

$2000-$2400 will find you a race ready rig of mid/late 90's vintage.

$3000+ is going to be a '99-'03 RACE READY boat.

New boat is $4995 ready to go.

*the bonuses are finding boats with dolly, covers, gear bag, carbon tiller, etc. That's where the 'deals' are. We find the best deals in the DEAD of winter (it doesn't snow here though) or late spring.

Prices are pretty similar here in the UK considering the exchange rates. I went the route of buying an older but sound, dry boat in the 120k range and then upgrading the controls, tiller etc. Glassfibre solutions nearby gave it a bit of a makeover and it looks like a new boat! The sail is OK but is next on the list when more pennies come my way, so far its come to about $2300.

Back