Good deal or not??

ThePrincess

Got a friend of mine who wants to sell his laser, I think it's an 02, hull in good shape, bone-dry, spars and sail with one season or less, straight blades, stock lines, stock tiller/extension, dolly, wants to sell for ABSOLUTELY no less than $3500. Good deal or not so much?:confused:

Sounds about right for a fairly quick sale.

"I bought it but never ever sailed it because I didn't have time" boats seem to sell for 4500.

ehhhhh. You can find a better one. One of the boats I had I bought for 3000 with carbon, tiller+ext, covers, 1 sail, blade bag, etc. it was a 03. The kid that had it would rather play football than sail.

I bought an 02 last spring for 3200 in New England. Dolly, pro rigging upgrade. blade bag. No leaks. Hull cover. Hull like new. Rudder like new. Same with centerboard, no wear from up/down in trunk, but a chip sanded off the tip. The bottom of the mast step wasn't even worn to the metal plate at all. The guy I bought it from guessed it had been used 17 times. As a measure of use, I added one evening a night club racing between May and October, a one day regatta, and three days at Nationals and now the gel coat is worn from the bottom of the mast step. The sail is still good enough to compete with the top sailors in our club. The hull otherwise looks new.

That price is high if there is no rigging upgrade. I'd also expect it to have been stored indoors for a good portion of its life. If lasers cost more like real estate out there, then maybe 3500 is fair. Would I still be happy with the boat if I had paid 3500? Yes. Did I steal it? No. Typical used sale, I paid more than I wanted to, the seller got less than he wanted. Fair sale, both ways. Last question, how does it sit in the market you're shopping. The veterans around here thought it was a good deal.

The upgrades now cost US$485. plus tax or shipping, so if that '02 doesn't have them, then it's a bit pricey. I doubt you'd want to race SF Bay without them. And the prices might be increased soon too for '08.

Al

Back