Gill Extreme Glove vs Neoprene Winter Glove

nesdog

I need to pick up some full finger gloves. Yes, it even gets cooler here in Socal! (42 when I went out cycling this morning).

Ocean water temps in the mid 50's and air about the same or slightly wamer (at least when I'm going out...).

I've been looking over the Gill Extreme and the Neoprene Winter Glove. Neoprene doesn't necessarily hold a lot of warmth in the wind. So just looking for some opinions.

Thanks....

The only thin parts of my body are my hands. They are always cold in winter.

Over the years l tried different kind of gloves. Thin neoprene (will help for a few minutes), the "Rooster winterpro" (worst ever, good grip though) and Magic Marine drysuits gloves.
These are really warm, because my hand stay dry. The are similar to the Gill. So they should be a great purchase
</SPAN></SPAN>

I looked at the MM online. But I wondered if this was a touch of overkill for Socal and maybe too warm on high 50's/low 60's days.

My hands run cold. Neoprene's nice, but your hands have to be wet for them to work. Not a problem as long as you know.

I just got some of these by Gill and I have used them one day and find them to be a really nice glove.
http://www.apsltd.com/p-26628-three-season-gloves.aspx

You can also find these in most hardware stores and they look interesting ...
http://www.apsltd.com/p-20139-atlas-hot-tamales-warm-gloves.aspx

NRS also has some nice gloves that look like they would work for sailing ...
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product_list.asp?deptid=944

Look at the *dry* gloves. I am going to order some of these and use a liner inside.
http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2278&deptid=944

Well, if not neoprene, then I'm not sure what the next direction is. The MM dryglove?

I didn't mean that neoprene is bad. They work better than anything else, as long as your hands are wet in them, they quickly get quite warm.

---oh, by the way ... it was 27f and the water is now in the 40s here where I sail. I also swim out to some bouys and do laps. Navy Seal combat swim ...

... in case I have to chase down my Laser.

Does the 3 Season do a pretty good job in cooler temps and winds? I wasn't sure if these were a touch lightweight?

Heading out to do some laps this morning myself....but I use the pool at the gym...it is an outdoor pool though so there is steam coming off in the morning and evening hours.

I am new to dingy sailing in the winter-- hence the swimming bit. I started out swimming the buoys for some conditioning and to chase my Laser if I crash in a strong blow -- it's already out run me once! Now I swim in winter because I find it fun and to make sure that I will be okay if I have to pull a self rescue .... no one else on the lake this time of year.

I really like the Gill gloves so far. Nice ergo curve for handling the main sheet and holding the tiller. It was below freezing when I used them but they weren't wet. I did swim with them later and found them to be okay. The question remains about the durability.

The swimming is a good workout! Since I surf and sail, I like to keep in shape as best as I can so I hit the pool a couple of times a week.

I've seen the 3 Season glove in quite a few places online. Sounds like this one could work for me so I'll do a bit of shopping today.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am new to dingy sailing in the winter-- hence the swimming bit. I started out swimming the buoys for some conditioning and to chase my Laser if I crash in a strong blow -- it's already out run me once! Now I swim in winter because I find it fun and to make sure that I will be okay if I have to pull a self rescue .... no one else on the lake this time of year.

I really like the Gill gloves so far. Nice ergo curve for handling the main sheet and holding the tiller. It was below freezing when I used them but they weren't wet. I did swim with them later and found them to be okay. The question remains about the durability.

I have a pair of 3 reason gloves and really the clues in the name, they fill the gap nicely between warm enough to wear builders gloves and the depths of winter, but you will be very very cold in the winter (im UK). You will lose all feeling and dexterity in your fingers on a cold day if you only have these (as i found out today)

I have a pair of 3 reason gloves and really the clues in the name, they fill the gap nicely between warm enough to wear builders gloves and the depths of winter, but you will be very very cold in the winter (im UK). You will lose all feeling and dexterity in your fingers on a cold day if you only have these (as i found out today)

In my case, I doubt that our Socal weather is nearly as frigid as yours (or that I'll even sail if it's that cold!) but I'm still kinda deciding between the 3 Season, Extreme and the Winter glove (well, okay, I also stuck the MM dry glove in the mix).

I wrote to Annap. since they reviewed various winter gloves on their blog recently. I gave them my water and air temp specs and asked about the 3 Season and the Winter Neoprene models.

Here is their response, in case it might be helpful to others:

"The three season glove should be good where you are. The winter glove is good in really cold/freezing temperatures. The loss of dexterity in the winter glove is not worth the extra warmth since it’s probably not needed."

We sail in temperatures hovering around freezing and have done a bit of experimenting. One cheap solution that we picked up from the kiteboarders is to wear a pair of dishwashing gloves over something like the neoprene. They break the wind and keep your hands dry and warm.

We sail in temperatures hovering around freezing and have done a bit of experimenting. One cheap solution that we picked up from the kiteboarders is to wear a pair of dishwashing gloves over something like the neoprene. They break the wind and keep your hands dry and warm.

I would definitely go along with this. Last weekend here in the UK we had -3 celcius (mast steps frozen and all). I wore Sealskinz marino wool gloves and yellow kitchen marigolds over the top. With the gul code zero drytop over the wrist it makes a watertight seal and my hands have never been so warm (didn't get cold at all) even after 2 and a half hours sailing. If you don't have a dry top then duct tape the marigolds to your spraytop to make a seal.

Back