getting into a laser

Hi,

What is the correct/safe way of getting into a laser.
I am a big guy who is not very supple.

Thanks.........

Launch the boat and hold onto it in waist deep water. Put the rudder down and put the centerboard in about half way down. Holding the tiller extension and mainsheet in your hand closest to the stern, push off hard and flop into the cockpit.

Launch the boat and hold onto it in waist deep water. Put the rudder down and put the centerboard in about half way down. Holding the tiller extension and mainsheet in your hand closest to the stern, push off hard and flop into the cockpit.

That's what I do!

Actually, I don't bother trying to grab the mainsheet until I'm in the boat.
One tip: make sure the boat is slightly pointed away from the wind so that you're clambering onto the windward side. Also make sure you have enough room ahead/leeward to drift a bit while you're getting squared-away in the boat.

On the rare times I need to launch at a pier, (after the boat is fully rigged) I generally try to untie the bowline, and then sit on the deck and maneuver the boat parallel to the pier using my feet. Then I hop/step into the boat and "away you go". This works increasingly less well as the wind increases...

Cheers,

Geoff S.

If your sailing out of your club - get a small (very) anchor or half a cinderblock some line and a empty half gallon of milk as a float...

If your sailing out of your club - get a small (very) anchor or half a cinderblock some line and a empty half gallon of milk as a float...

I have a small folding grappel anchor with about 10 feet of polypro (floating) line on it. Thankfully the main beach I launch from has a buoy you can tie off to while dragging the dolly/trailer back to shore.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

I run like hell to get the dolly to the beach and then back to my boat before it floats away... it's been failproof so far

Back