Genuine Lower Radail Mast Section?

Zoey

How can one tell if a lower Radial mast section is genuine and not a regular mast section that has been cut down. I came accross an individual trying to sell a Radial mast, when it was really a regular Laser mast. I only knew, because someone who knows the person, knows he cut his regular mast down. Had I not been told, I never would've know.
Thanks,
Zoey

Zoey,

Have you handled a Radial mast section a lot? You may be able to tell right off if you've got a fake because a full-rig mast section is thicker around. Now I've never seen a full-rig mast section that was cut down to Radial, so I don't know how heavy it would be compared with a regular Radial mast section. But I do know that if I pick up a regular full-rig mast section, I can tell right away it's not a Radial because it's thicker and heavier than the Radial.

If you haven't handled a Radial mast section a lot, maybe you could try to get the diameter specs on it...you can cut down a mast section, but you can't alter its diameter.

Mary

How can one tell if a lower Radial mast section is genuine and not a regular mast section that has been cut down. I came accross an individual trying to sell a Radial mast, when it was really a regular Laser mast. I only knew, because someone who knows the person, knows he cut his regular mast down. Had I not been told, I never would've know.
Thanks,
Zoey

The Radial section besides being a thinner wall section as Mary pointed out, is also sleeved - when you look inside from the top, you will see the sleeve in a legal Radial section.

Back