General Questions

Zboat

I have a 1980 Laser and the Hull is almost an off white to tan color is that a normal color? Also the Hole in the mast step on the deck isnt quite round but the bottom is, I dont think this is a problem but Im not sure. There is also a small rip in one of my sails, I want to use sail tape to fix it but I am not sure if it will hold or not so Im thinking sewing the rip may be better. The rip is near the batten slot.

One last question before I get shot for asking to many. The boat doesnt have clew strap. I am looking at the Harken Laser Clew Strap because its inexpensive and I dont plan to race this boat. Is that an ok choice? on the APS site they say it works well with the new system. Whats the new system?

Thanks for the help.

Hi Zboat.

I have a 1980 Laser and the Hull is almost an off white to tan color is that a normal color?
Yes. Gel coat will yellow after some years too, but they made tan hulls, as well.

Also the Hole in the mast step on the deck isnt quite round but the bottom is, I dont think this is a problem but Im not sure.

As long as your mast turns freely, it's OK. Maybe there's been some repair or it could have just been made that way.

There is also a small rip in one of my sails, I want to use sail tape to fix it but I am not sure if it will hold or not so Im thinking sewing the rip may be better. The rip is near the batten slot.

If it's near the batten, there will be a lot of pressure there. I would get it professionally sewn. I don't think it will be very expensive. A regular household sewing machine is barely up to the job, especially if you get layers of the heavy fabric. I know, I've tried.

The boat doesnt have clew strap. I am looking at the Harken Laser Clew Strap because its inexpensive and I dont plan to race this boat. Is that an ok choice? on the APS site they say it works well with the new system. Whats the new system?

The Harken clew strap would be fine. I think they must mean the rigging upgrades. You know, you don't even need a strap. A few wraps with a line and a nice tight square knot works just fine.

Merrily,
Thanks a bunch, I think the hull may be that tan color you talked about. As for the sail...guess Ill have to do some figuring to see if its even worth keeping it.

Merrily,
Thanks a bunch, I think the hull may be that tan color you talked about. As for the sail...guess Ill have to do some figuring to see if its even worth keeping it.

New sails are very expensive. Find someone who does sail repair and get an estimate. I bet it will be worth it.

The mast hole is slightly oblong at the deck, to allow a little fore/aft movement between upwind and downwind (normally, in other classes you rake the mast forward for downwind sailing compared to the upwind rake)

As far as the sail tear - if you can describe where the tear is, and how large the tear is, we can tell you if taping will work - A pic would be even better.

If you want to clean that tan stain off your boat use Y-10 gel. I had the same problem and now my hull looks brand new. I fresh coat of cleaner wax will do the hull good as well.

Back