Gel Coat Hole Repair

iconoclast

I'm repairing several holes in the Gel coat inside the cockpit and cubby area.

I've found the Dremel Multi-Max oscillatory tool with the sanding attachment great for smoothing out the gel coat back to the original contour. It can take off a lot of material fast, or contour it slowly so you get a smooth transition.

(no commercial interest on my part)

No commercial plugs without pictures! Actually, I'd love to see what was bad, and how you went about fixing it.

A lot of people, especially me, are trying to get up to speed on Gelcoat and everything in between...

I too am looking to repair some holes in my hull, I have multiple screw holes from old rudder brackets and chips or scratches down to the glass matt. any help or suggestions as to how and what products to use would be of great help.
I was planning on slight sanding then putting duct tape on the inside and then using resin to just fill in the holes, slight spray paint for UV protection.
Have never worked with Gelcoat ?:confused:

I think the trick to Gel Coat is not to over-apply and tape wax paper TIGHTLY over the repair to get it to conform will to the surrounding surfaces. Pay close attention to this
and you wont have much sanding to do.

(but get the Multi-max anyway, tell the wife it is a necessity to make the repair)

Gel coat work is tricky, and you should probably have someone who knows what they're doing show you how. The duct tape/resin idea works quite well, so long as you add the proper amounts of additives. If you can send pics of the areas you need to repair, I mightt be able to give you a few pointers.

The holes are 1/4" diam. screw size holes from the old brass rudder brackets, couple on top and one underneath. and some chips one on the back bottom corner.

Attachments

• corner chip.jpg
    corner chip.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 25
  • screw hole.jpg
    screw hole.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 30

Back