Gel Coat Cracks

duckjibe

Hi,

I've discovered some cracks, 6 to 8" long running just below the deck on the side of the hull. See attached Picture. They are located right about where you'd sit and hike.

I'm guessing that the boat was hit or dropped here, but I don't know. It's a used boat. If I push on the hull here, and at other locations around the hull they all seem to have similar stiffness. I have not yet put the boat in water, so I don't know if it takes on water.

Questions:
1. Does this look like something to be concerned about?
2. When I do get this in the water how much water is 'expected' when you drain. I'm sure it is time and weather dependent, but roughly speaking?
3. If this is cosmetic, should I repair it? If so, how?

Thanks

Attachments

• LaserCracks.jpg
    LaserCracks.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 93
I wouldn't be overly concerned, they shouldn't allow any water in the hull and look like small stress cracks probably from impact

Yeah, you should see the spider cracks in mine... looks like it got hit broadside by a battleship. They are merely cosmetic even if they are below the waterline... so real quick fix to make them go away that I have found. Just a re-gelcoat of the boat will fix it. If anyone else has extra input please feel free...

My guess is somebody flipped the boat, stood on the hull betwen the cracks and the center and inverted the hull.
it is the sort of major structural damage that newbies do to lasers ( I did it and I ahd been sailing dinghies for 25 years before I owned my first Laser to ruin.

The boat will never be as fast as it could be on a marginal planing close reach and it will lose a few feet to an undamaged boat every time theweakened hull inverts instead of bouncing over a wave, but it is still shaped like a laser and will sail well for years and years.

Maybe also: the hull was inverted on a trailer bunk when somebody sat on it while it was on the trailer. Never let anybody sit on your boat ever unless the boat is in the water....no exception...especially small children. The best time to teach a kid to NEVER get in a dinghy when it is on a trailer is when the kid is too small to actually hurt the boat while learning.

Maybe also: The cockpit floor and deck area where you sit is mushed and soft and the hull has been inverting on every wave...but you could tell that was the case as the deck would be very soft.[

As for how much water to expect when you pull out the drain plug after sailing, I would say none. I just put my '86 boat in the water for the first time, sailed it not too strenuously for 5 hours in winds up to 10 kts. When I pulled it out of the water and undid the drain plug, no water :).

Back