Geezer talk

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
Does a GGM (over 65) have to sail a Radial in an 'official' Masters event, like the Atlantic Coast Championship (at Rock Hall Yacht Club, Oct 4)? It's a one-day event.

Does a GGM (over 65) have to sail a Radial in an 'official' Masters event, like the Atlantic Coast Championship (at Rock Hall Yacht Club, Oct 4)? It's a one-day event.

I think that's just at the Worlds. At the Masters North Americans, there were many GGMs sailing full size.

i thought that with age, comes privilege. are not all Masters ( Master, GM. GGM) allowed to switch rigs at all sanctioned events? sanctioned events would be any championships, grand prix, and all official Master events.
"switching of rigs" would constitute leaving the dock with whatever rig you choose( full or radial), based on conditions. also, that you can change the next day if conditions warrant.

i thought that with age, comes privilege. are not all Masters ( Master, GM. GGM) allowed to switch rigs at all sanctioned events? sanctioned events would be any championships, grand prix, and all official Master events.
"switching of rigs" would constitute leaving the dock with whatever rig you choose( full or radial), based on conditions. also, that you can change the next day if conditions warrant.

At US/Canada master's events (don't know about elsewhere), sailors of any age group can swap rigs each day as you describe.

As far as GGMs being forced to sail Radial only, as I said I only saw that enforced at the Worlds. There was no rig swapping.

Right after I win the 2118 senoir worlds there will be a

2118 Masters worlds

....Unless I lose fifty pounds I will not be sailing Radial.

Either I will be allowed to continue in the grand masters fleet

or

We will have enough of us to have a fleet of real sailboats

Radials are for girls and wimpy guys and I am in no rush to become either

Right after I win the 2118 senoir worlds there will be a

2118 Masters worlds

....Unless I lose fifty pounds I will not be sailing Radial.

Either I will be allowed to continue in the grand masters fleet

or

We will have enough of us to have a fleet of real sailboats

Radials are for girls and wimpy guys and I am in no rush to become either

2118? OK, you can already prove dementia. Maybe the "wimpy" guys will cut you a break and not knock you on your ass.

At the last D13 open regatta, a new master asked if he should sail in the Laser or Radial Fleet. Dick Tillman asked if he would rather loose to a bunch of 15 year olds or to him.

I think I weigh about the same as the Gouvernail. Perhaps we could hold the 2118 Masters worlds in Freemantle of somewhere else guaranteed to blow 30+ every day. Then we could sail radials with no disadvantage.

Back