What's new

gday from FNQ Australia

kimbodious

gday,
I am a 60 something 90 kilo something aussie male who has fond memories of regularly capsizing Moth back in the 1970’s. A recent foray into sailing was putting a couple of different sized Pacific Action sails on my 5.1m sea kayak, lots of fun but not exactly the sailing fix I was hoping for. Anyway good old Facebook Marketplace feed turned up a 1992 Laser, beach trolley and Standard rig plus 4.7m and Radial rigs with sails for a very good price.

Definitely a fixer-upper with first task to separate the mast from the Radial mast base. Thanks to whoever it was here who wrote up how they winched the sections apart, that was the solution I needed. A loose rivet in the mast connector cap was the culprit. A good excuse to buy a few bits and pieces and swap the mast over.

I need to work out a safe way to load and unload the hull by myself from the roof of my ute, any suggestion?

It will be a few weeks before I finally launch the Laser but until then I will trawl the interweb for lots of great tips.

catch you all later.

Horizon

Hi,

Congratulations on buying your Laser - and on separating the mast!

(I remember those days on my scow Moth too - usually when the boom caught a wave!)

If you look at this thread below, I described how I put my Laser on my car. It might be slightly harder for you, if your roof bars are higher than a standard car. Or it might even be easier if you have a bar right at the back of the ute and no roof overhang to avoid.

Have fun out on the water

kimbodious

Hi,

Congratulations on buying your Laser - and on separating the mast!

(I remember those days on my scow Moth too - usually when the boom caught a wave!)

If you look at this thread below, I described how I put my Laser on my car. It might be slightly harder for you, if your roof bars are higher than a standard car. Or it might even be easier if you have a bar right at the back of the ute and no roof overhang to avoid.

Have fun out on the water
Thanks. Yeah my ute is a Mazda Bravo with 14” wheels, nice an low. I had help loading the hull first time around but unloaded it by myself quite safely. Yes there is a bar right at the back of the tray and no roof overhang. The distance between the bars is 2.4 metres. A pretty good setup I think.

kimbodious

First mods, fitted gooseneck onto lower mast section (after shearing off the rivets when trying to pull apart the stuck sections). I used 25mm M5 316 stainless steel machine screws.

I put Tefgel wherever stainless steel would been in contact with the aluminium. Man that stuff sticks like the proverbial to a baby’s blanket

I did not have enough patience to use the screw on a stick method to line up the screws with the holes from the inside, what sadist recommended that approach?

Hot glue gun to the rescue! I threaded some brickies twine through a nut and then through the holes from the outside. Lowered the twine through the mast section and then glued the twine to the end the screw. Waited about 30 seconds (yeah right) for the glue to set before drawing the twine and screw out through the hole.

Plenty of cursing when I mightn’t have waited the 30 seconds and the twine and screw parted ways. Otherwise happy days!

kimbodious

Nothing like doing some mods/ repairs to help build that feeling of ownership!

While I am waiting for the parts to replace the parts I broke/ destroyed pulling the mast sections apart I am busy watching Youtube videos. Hail to all the nerds who make the time to record and upload their videos!

kimbodious

I want to remove about 25mm of the upper mast section where the rivets at the mast connector tore out. It was pretty corroded. There was no upper mast cap, hmm. Anyway I’d already decided to upend the mast.

My question is with it being 25mm shorter, it it reasonably safe just to put the mast collar 25mm lower? In other words the section going in to the lower mast section would be 25mm shorter? Comments? Suggestions?

kimbodious

The corroded end looks a lot like this. Someone suggested getting an end cap turned up that added the extra 25mm.
25mmB1EBAD36-709E-4A09-98D6-A74CB7E1DADF.jpeg

kimbodious

The suggestion was to get an end cap fabricated that added the missing 25mm. Not your regular end cap, something more like a penis extension. That way, my colleague suggested that I have the usual length of top mast section in the lower mast section. Does 25mm really matter? This laser is never going to race so I don’t have to worry about legality.

LaLi

Ok, now I get it. You’d have 25 mm of solid plastic to replace same length of aluminium tube. Might work. I’d still get a new topmast... or just wrap grey tape over the ugly parts :rolleyes:

_