Fullrig bottom sections

ozboy

Heya
I have heard that the black fullrig bottom sections are a lot softer than the silver ones
i think they are made in the uk
is this true?

yea im from oz n im wanting to go into a fullrig but im too light so im wanting a soft mast...are there many other types of bottom sections?

kyle,

i did a little research on this myself, the black sections from europe used to be thinner and bendier than the aussie masts, but aus has changed their spec towards the thinner wall sections in the last few years

i weighed my old (snapped) full rig section against my brand new one and there was .7kg difference, which is a fair bit when you think about it. (new one is 4.5 kg, old was 5.2)

the new ones arent all the same so when you get one, ask to weigh a few and get a lighter one, ben lamb said not to go lighter than 4.3-4.4 or your pointing will suffer

I would take it the basic rule of thumb would be lighter sailors want a bendier (lighter) mast and heavy weights a stiffer (heavier) mast. The top secton can be adjusted a little during construction to reduce or increase the desired effect as well I suppose.

It reminds me of the "mast step angle" issue - but thats another topic.

Back