Full Restore Almost Complete

wdeloria

Well I have spent the last month on a full restoration of our 76' sunfish. Tasks completed include:
1. Full removal of all hardware;
2. Holes cut for three 6" inspection ports;
3. Reset of one foam block;
4. Patch all small holes & cracks;
5. Fiberglass all large holes & cracks;
6. Re seal mast step and dagger trunk;
7. Sanded paint down to original gel coat;
8. Sanded primed and painted all aluminium rub rail;
9. Refinished all wood parts (tiller, rudder, dagger)
10. Purchased new sail, clips, and all new line;
11. Primed and finish painted with Brightside deck and hull;

Now I just have to put everything back together, rig the sail and line, and set her free.

I will post photos of before and after once completed.

Thanks for all the great info.

For those who are interested in acquiring a clean dry boat, I have a question on expense. Was this anywhere near as expensive as a new boat (given a reasonable allocation of cost per hour). I enjoy working on my boat, but others may find it less interesting and was looking for your view on how value added an excersize this was for you. Thanks for any insights.

Well if you factor in the $20 something an hour I make sitting in front of a computer or lecturing on community development issues, this is not a "good deal". However, factor in the amount of pleasure and enjoyment I get out of working with my hands and creating something that is as good or better than the original, and it works out just fine. For those not interested in reconditioning an old boat, my advice is don't buy an old boat. I have about $550 total into this boat including: boat purchase ($125), new sail with clips ($150), Repair materials ($200), odds and ends ($75). Not bad for a boat that looks like it just came off the factory floor.

Back