Full bottom section to radial

windrider

I have a full rig bottom section, but need a radial. Can you just cut down the metal untill it's the length of a radial section?
Is the metal any different between the two sizes,? I talked to a couple of people and they said theres no difference, but any advice would be great.

I have a full rig bottom section, but need a radial. Can you just cut down the metal untill it's the length of a radial section?
Is the metal any different between the two sizes,? I talked to a couple of people and they said theres no difference, but any advice would be great.

No, the section won't work properly. A Radial lower section is more "bendy" than a standard section, and you need that bendiness to get the Radial sail to work right.

The radial mast tubing is thinner, and sleeved inside from the bottom up past the gooseneck. This allows more flex.

As pointed out in both answers above, the two sections are different. If you plan on doing any class racing, you need the class legal lower. There are usually a lot of people looking to swap one for the other if that's what you decide to do

If this is just for casual sailing however, using a cut down full rig lower works fine. The sail does not depower as easily, but other then that it's just fine.. (speaking from experience, my dad wanted to go sailing "right now" and didn't want to go buy a radial lower and wait for it to be shipped.)

no, its bad news all around

do a search, this get covered at least twice a month

That's what I figured;the metal is thinner, more flexible.I also saw the inner sleeve in a drawing but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the info,

anybody want to trade a radial for a full bottom section?

Back