Frostbiting Gear

gdhagger

Wondering what kind of gear anyone hear who frostbites uses under their drysuits. What's working well for you, and what have you learnt to avoid? Also, what sort of temperatures are you sailing in?

Thanks,

Graham

Yarrr....totally living this right now, it was 2 degrees centigrade here Sunday.
Top - Thermal t shirt over thermal long sleeve roll neck over thermal long sleeve
Legs - Thermal leggings ( man tights ) under jogging bottoms

Below air temp of 40 f, long sleeve crew neck and full leg Patagonia Capaline lightweight base layer with short SEA airprene hikers under my drysuit. Air temp around 20 f, I'll add a short sleeve lightweight Capaline shirt and and a midweight Patagonia R1 vest that has a crew neck collar (much less annoying than a std collar on a vest with the neck seal). Between the 2 temps and depending on windspeed and sun strenght, I adjust as needed. Works great. Air temp below 20ish f, I'll swap my Capaline with a .5 mil wetsuit Farmer John and .5 mil long sleeve top with my hikers, all under my drysuit. No problems moving and staying warm.

Air temps above 45ish f in the fall and 55ish f in the spring, spray top, Airprene short hikers, .5 mil Farmer John and .5 mil long sleeve top wetsuit.

Don't forget the wool sock for your little fella. If it gets itchy switch to one of those Patagonia capaline socks.

You will learn to avoid eating beans and other flatulence causing foods. There is nothing worse than talking to some hot chick while taking off a dry suit which contains your off gassing. Perhaps some of those new carbon odor fighting under wear maybe the go.

Back