Forum idea

torrid

Just sailing
I've noticed the For Sale section is a mixture of both boats and individual parts. Would it make sense to have two sections - one for parts and one for complete boats?

Good idea. I think the forum would also be vastly improved if the 'Laser Sailing' and 'Laser Class Politics' areas were rethought. For a start, say separate sub-forum groupings like 'Boat maintenance/repair', 'Laser Equipment' , 'Racing', 'Class issues' and so on.

All forums need to be rethought and restructured every year or two to stay relevant, but TLF has been static for a long time.

How about it Merrily? Bradley?

I'm open to making some changes and breaking areas up more. I'd like to see some more thoughts from the rest of you. What do you think of the current section lineup? What sections would you like to see?

My opinion: The idea of sections is help people find things (be that new posts, related things). The level of activity here is that split at the current number of groupings makes looking at activity quite practical. In fact, if you split too much, you would start finding threads with new posts split in different sections making it really difficult to see what had been going on.

The number of different sections must be driven by the level of activity and should reflect need rather than structure for the sake of structure.

People looking for different things will tend to use the search facility. People who have e.g. hull/deck separation will probably use the search rather than scan through everything in e.g. a maintenance section. Should they scan through e.g. a maintenance section they will undoubtedly miss the really useful post because it has a title of e.g. "Help" or "I've got a problem" - something that will not suggest that it contains the answer they are looking for. The search facility is the only viable option as it will search the text of all posts in all threads. So splitting does not really help people find things; does not really make things more manageable (given the activity levels).

In fact one could almost merge the politics with the general area - but I would not bother as it's not really a big issue.

But I have noticed the forum seems to have been hacked by Facebook - somebody has inserted links to Facebook on threads !!

Ian

Back