Flat Trolley Tyres

Webmuppet

Hi everyone,

The tyre (tire) on one of my launching trolley( dolly) wheels was a bit soft when I launched the boat this morning and when I returned to shore the wheel was completely flat - it might have had something to do with the water temperature, it really was that cold ! No problem I thought, however, I hadn't realised that the tyre was tubeless and because the seal had broken on the bead, it wouldn't take any air. There are several solutions 1) buy a new wheel/tyre assembly, 2) put an inner tube in the tyre or 3) take it to a tyre fitter with a decent high pressure air-line to see if the bead will seal against the rim of the wheel. Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem and have they any suggestions ?

Cheers,

Nigel

P.S. I did try the airline at the local petrol station (gas station), but it wasn't very high pressure and didn't sort out the problem

Try 3 things....

1. Take any weight off the tire so as to allow it to reshape and conform to the rim....or better yet remove the wheel from the axel so you can work with it.

2. Find a compressor that can quickly deliver a large volume of air.

3. As you add the air....work the tire with your hands to seat the bead.( helps to have an extra hand from a friend to hold the air nozzel)

Good luck, Eric

Thanks Eric,

I've tried the first idea, but I think you're right, I reckon that it needs a decent high pressure air line to do the job properly (a contribution to the tea / coffee / Beer fund at the local tyre fitters ?) I guess that moral of this story is that if you see your tyre looking a bit soft, top it up with air before that seal breaks !

Cheers,

Nigel

Had this happen with wheel-barrow tires (also tubeless). They told me at Home Depot to tie a rope around the tire tightly to help form a seal on the tire /rim bead. Then, inflate the tire. It has worked fine each time.

MP

Had this happen with wheel-barrow tires (also tubeless). They told me at Home Depot to tie a rope around the tire tightly to help form a seal on the tire /rim bead. Then, inflate the tire. It has worked fine each time.

MP
That is a good trick!...a rachet strap will sometimes stay put better

That is a good trick!...a rachet strap will sometimes stay put better

I've just tried that one and it didn't work for me,
confused.gif

All the tyre fitting guys seem to have Sunday as their day off so I'll try to pay one a visit during the week,

Cheers,

Nigel

This is and old trick used by offroaders... it's dangerous - but it works. I've used the ratchet strap trick too.

After you do get it back on, THIS stuff rocks for keeping it that way.

That WD-40 trick (ether (starting fluid) works too) is extremely dangerous. It is a good way to loose some or all of your body parts.

A ratchet strap around the tire works the best - you don't even need a high-volume compressor.

sometimes if you hang the tire sideways it will return to round and seat against the rim for easy re-filling.

If you figure out which side is not seated against the rim, put teh unseated side down, run a rope through the center of the wheel and hang the tire someplace warm for a few days it is often easy to get the tire to fill again.

Back