flat sail?

What does it mean for a sail to be "flat"?
From US Sailing - Sail Shape when sailing on a reach
For maximum efficiency a sail should have a curve, or draft. The larger the draft or curvature of the sail usually creates a more powerful sail. In moderate wind conditions, the draft should beapproximately 45% of the way back from the luff (front edge of the sail), much like a wing of an airplane. In light winds, the mainsail should be set for maximum efficiency. The larger the draft or curvature of the sail usually creates a more powerful sail. However, in stronger winds it may be desirable to flatten the mainsail.

Flattening the curvature of the sail will make it less aerodynamic and reduce the pull on the leeward side of the sail. This can be done by tightening the . . . the outhaul
[and uphaul – or cunningham, if so equipped]…

Flat can also refer to the cut of the sail. For instance the Sunfish recreational sail is cut and sewn to have less "draft" [3rd dimension curvature] than the Sunfish racing sail. This creates a depowered sail design for less aggressive, leisure sailing.

parab1.gif

http://www.onemetre.net/Design/Design.htm

Hey, thanks for the great info. I'm trying to decide between buying a North sail or Neil Pryde sail. I saw on another thread that the NP sail is flatter than the North sail. This may have been only one person's opinion. So, do you know anything about this issue?
thanks!

I saw on another thread that the NP sail is flatter than the North sail. This may have been only one person's opinion.
Probably mixing apples with oranges, comparing the recreational sail cut at one sailmaker to the racing sail at another.

Neil Pryde is a top notch sailmaker. I had them make me a sail set costing $2,000 for one boat. Sorta makes the price of a Sunfish sail pale by comparison. Neil Pride was also the official Sunfish sailmaker for the recreational sail from 1992 to 1997, when Sunfish/Laser was the boat's builder.

The current sail offered by Neil Pride is the recreational cut. If you want a sail with more draft you need to move up to Intensity Sails' training sail or the Sunfish (North) racing sail.

Back