First time sunfish owner

darlenepage

we just bought a used sunfish :) for my son who is 13 and decided to take sailing lessons last year, and loved it. The sunfish that I usually see around are red or blue in color. This one that we bought has green trim. The hull main color is cream, and the sail is green and white striped. Anybody with any ideas on what years these colors were available?
Thanks,

I can't help with the colr choices over the years but I can assist you with the age of the hull.
Is there a hull ID number on the stern, just to the starboard side of the rudder hardware? If not, is there a hull ID number on a tag or nameplate on the cockpit forward wall?
The stern hull ID # was mandantory starting in the early 70s, I think. Prior to that mandatory position the AMF or Alcourt ID was in the cockpit, just under the mainsheet hook.
If you find the numbers, a date can be determined by referencing the numbers against the Sunfish ID number chart located at Yahoo Groups Sunfish Sailer files. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sunfish_sailor/
You will need to join (register) to use that site but there isn't a cost for joining or using the site.
The hull number won't guarantee the sail age as the sail could have come from a different boat or as a replacement.

Back