First time Rigging...Question

CWRSNY

I just bought my first laser and I am trying to figure out the proper rigging in my backyard.

Should all laser pros have a clew hook pully?

Not quite sure what you mean, but if you just got the boat, And its brand new, it should have the new clew sleve on it. AKA clew hook.

UK equivalent boats some with a Velcro strap for the clew and the Harken hook (paperwork describes tying the block to the clew but later says you can use the hook "if you want to"). Does not include the Clew sleeve thing (at least not earlier this year)

Ian

If you mean "should there be a block connected to the sail clew grommet" - YES. The back part of the outhaul should be tied off to the end of boom fairlead, go forwards through this block, back through the fairlead then have another block tied on the end of this line. The "front" part of the outhaul goes through this block.
The easiest way to connect the block to the sail grommet is with a hook.

harken hooks (by themselves or the one on the new clew sleeve) can be used with or without a pulley (block). The outhaul line will run through the hook base by itself but with some added friction. Most harken / Ronstan or other blocks can be attached to the hooks by simply threading them from the sail attachment end before attaching the hook to the boom tie down ot sleeve. Some people prefer to use a light shacle to orient the block sheave thru 90 degrees (flat on the boom) when using the hook alone. This more difficult with the sleeve but vertical seems to work as good.

Just make sure the hoock can rotate freely around the boom and fore/aft to face the load - so you don't inadvertantly choose a setup that may lever the sail out of the hook in some conditions (often a problem when inhaul bungee not rigged separate from the hook or boom tie down obstructed in some way)

also if you rig clew on first then attach boom to gooseneck pin - go back to the clew hook when the boom is on the mast and check that the clew cringle is still properly seated on the hook and not resting on part of the clew cringle ribs. (by ribs I am referring to the slightly raised edges of centre SS cringle portion and nylon outer portion of the cringle common on most 'Newer' Laser Sails. Old sails had a single metal cringle, but still with ridges etc.

Back