First time on the water

I launched my 1984 Capri 14.2 for the first time today after a few weeks of outfitting and renewing its equipment. Coming from an RS Quba with no jib and a simpler setup, I felt at first like someone trying to keep a bunch of plates spinning on sticks as I paddled out into water deep enough to lower the rudder and center board and raise the sails, After flailing around for a few minutes though, I started to get the hang of it and decided that this is a pretty good boat that will turn out to be a lot of fun, and much more comfortable than my Quba. From all the talk here about how tender the 14.2 is, I was concerned about capsizing, but I found the boat to be quite stable even when hit by a good gust, and I'm no longer worried so much about a capsize as long as I sail in reasonable winds and pay attention. This is going to be fun.

Excellent!! Enjoy!
I have had my capsize moments from "tripping over my centerboard" when hit by a wind shift. It happens, but it also happens in most any dingy. So, don't sweat it and enjoy your boat.
Cheers, Karl

Get reef points installed on your main. The boat's pretty easy to handle with reefed main only on sporty days! There's a million differen things you can do to make the boat more user-friendly, check my postings and you'll see them all.
Have a great season!

Back