First Sailboat! Which Mod do I have?

dkorth

I just bought a used capri and am eager to get to sailing it next weekend (if it doesn't snow that is!)

I was told the boat is a yr 2000 and it looks to be on the registration. The cuddy door is screwed in and siliconed all around it with only a 3-4" round screw-out portal in it. Also the coamings are teak. Reading the FAQ I don't think it's a mod 1 because of the watertight plastic cuddy cover. There is no box behind the cover so I don't think it's a mod 2 (unless they removed the box and glued the cover on.) It doesn't appear to be a Mod 3 boat because they are not supposed to have teak.

Just curious!

Thanks!

Look at the serial number stamped on the stern. Mine is:

CPS3988D292

The 3988 is the hull number
The 2 after the D is the mod number
The 92 at the end is the year manufactured

This info came from Kent Nelson at Catalina Yachts.

thanks for the reply!

My boat does not have such a number.

It merely says the SN is #653

Tried to sail her today in a light rain, but alas we were missing a few parts critica to successfully attaching the forestay.

There are a few other tidbits needing replacement, including a fraying shroud so it's off to the parts store this week!

location of hull ID

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hull ID is a 12-digit alphanumeric. It is not on the builder's plate. I asked Catalina for mine (and they were good enough to provide it to me) but also "found" it etched into the fiberglass on the transom on the starboard side just underneath the gunwale.

Is this the number you are reporting to us?

Fan -

Thanks a lot for the info. I was able to find the HIN based on your note; Catalina was also helpful and sent me some info. The HIN is CPSB0653B858 and I'm told it was built in August of 1990. That puts it at the change over to the mod 2 so Catalina will hopefully tell me which mod.

Thanks again!

Back