First post...Bought 1999 Vanguard Sunfish for $300...

Thread starter #21
Great I will get a 2 qt kit of 6# foam from JD ...Its funny all the damage the boat had and the foam is like new still glued in and white and dry...I'll tell you a story about foam... I had a sunfish that I had done a lot of work to I sailed it for a year or so ,then I decided to put some foam under the cockpit. I bought some foam called great stuff from the hardware and put it under the cockpit man that stuff was some "great stuff" it worked fine for a while and then the unthinkable happened ??? What might that be? After the foam had been in there for 6 months working fine....It got wet and expanded like a balloon ...really a balloon. The cockpit was pushed up a good 3 inches in the middle Imagine the horror looking at it...well to fix it I had to cut an inspection plate in the middle or the floor and dig out the "great stuff" and put weights in the floor for a few weeks to get it flat again... I guess I could have read the instructions where it says "spray with water to make the foam expand more...Well that was fun.

Webfoot1

No kidding! I never had that problem and I always had water in the hull. I wonder what
I did different. Maybe I didn't use as much foam as you did. I injected it through holes
in the cockpit floor and did not use a lot because I was worried about the problem you
described. When the foam activated it oozed back out the holes in the floor.

Thread starter #23
Oh yea I probably used a lot of it...what happened is it had an uncured "bubble "inside the foam and when water got to it it ballooned out...now I use only polyurethane foam made for boats no worries because it fully cures in minutes...and if under the cockpit just expands out around the confined area...

signal charlie

Staff member
The foam bonding under the tub is usually in 6-8 very small blobs, about silver dollar size. Their locations can be spotted a lot of times on the bottom of the hull because stress risers form in the gelcoat over those hard spots. So a very small amount of foam is needed, and leave room for it to expand. Less foam means less trapped water. I would make sure to leave plenty of areas for water to flow through in case a leak developed, make sure water can get out to wherever your chosen drain point is. For us we like to use the deck drain or put in a center deck inspection port, lots of access there to take care of backer block issues, daggerboard trunk repairs and sponge out any small leaks.