First capsize

sailh34

Well, I had my first capsize in the C14.2 over the weekend. It was actually pretty easy to capsize. It was blowing 10-15 and I was sailing under main alone and I was getting along pretty well and having a lot of fun. I was out for a quick little sail to determine if I should bring my son out on the boat with me after his nap (2 years old). I had determined that I would not since the healing of the boat would scare him and it was a bit gusty.

I went to tack and realized the mainsheet has gotten tangled up around my leg. I, not so smartingly, cleated the main and quickly sat back ddown to untangle the line from my leg so I could tack and jump over to the other side of the boat. Well, the boat was in mid tack when this was happening and I sat back down (on the low side) right as the wind caught the sail completing the tack. Over she went pretty quickly.

Righting the boat was pretty easy. I uncleated the main, swam around the boat, and just pulled down on the centerboard with my hands like doing a pull-up. She sprang right back up. The water was not all that deep, but the boat must have turtled a bit because the windvane was broken and there was a bit of mud on top of the mast. Then, it was fun man overboard drills recollecting my lifejacket (nope, wasn't on) and seat cushion.

I just figured I would share to let everyone know it was not that hard to right the boat and remember don't cleat the main if you have much wind at all! I probably won't lay the sheet in my lap anymore either.

Congrats on your recovery from the capsize. I really do believe in wearing your pfd instead of having it in sitting in the boat. 2 cents..

"I just figured I would share to let everyone know it was not that hard to right the boat and remember don't cleat the main if you have much wind at all! I probably won't lay the sheet in my lap anymore either."

I capsized twice this summer and under the same conditions. I have been surprised by how easily the boat rolls and you always have to be on your toes. I had no problems righting the boat - I just could not get back in !!.

Since capsizing I have removed the mainsail cleats as that was the main culprit for my capsizing - and not having the cleats saved me at lesat once this summer when I got caught out by a gust of wind.

gerry

The boat is really no more easy to capsize than say, a Hunter 170, or a Oday 15, or any other like sized, centerboard boat.

I guess because I started with a sunfish, I expect a certain amount of tenderness to the boat.

Basic boating practices...
1) Always keep the sheet lines clear (I am guilty of sitting on the jib sheets all the time).
2) During a tack (unless you are racing), your objective is to steer into the wind, pausing during the tack to free lines and shift sides opposite the sails.
3) Murphy was a sailor... things go wrong. Try to prepare for the worst, by wearing your PFD, and practicing your capsize ritual.

Sounds like you had your "plan" in mind.. that is good...

PS: Great recovery... and I wouldn't take a 2 year out on a Capri, unless I had a REALLY good handle on all 3 rules, and have sailed in squirrly conditions and kept the boat right at all times.

Great rules. I learned to sail on large keel boats and have not yet had much dinghy experience. No better way to learn that this! Thanks for the advice.

My First as well

I had my first capsize and turtleing of my boat a few weeks ago. It started with being unable to sail for nearly a year due to family schedules. I was anxious to get out no matter what. The winds were 15-17 knots as I could tell in the main part of the lake. I started in a cove, alone as I sailed. I had my new PFD on and as usual had a whistle around my neck and knife clipped to the vest.

I started with only the main as I was concerned with the wind. It was going so well in the cove I decided to put up the jib for better manuverability as I felt I would need it later in the day to get back. As I came out of the cove the winds really picked up. I caught a strong gust and nearly went over but recovered. I had a sense then I could better handle the strong wind. I sailed on a few minutes further and saw as a fresh breeze was coming up the lake toward me. While trying to stay close to the wind the boat began to tip and then the wind turned and once it was all over the boat capsized. I rushed to get to the center board but was unable to reach it in time to keep it from turtleing.

Within a few minutes help arrived from a ski boat and I was able to get onto the hull. Because of the strong winds I was concerned about righting it in the middle of the lake. The ski boat was extremely helpful to tow me to the cove. It took us nearly an hour as we closely watch the depth gauge. With the boat being over for so long water had come into the hull through two holes in the mid section of the boat. Once I righted the boat it was not manuverable and I had to quickly lower the sails and get help back to tow me to shore.

With the whole event concluded I had only lost a small paddle since others helped me recover my other items.

I am now ready to plug my holes that I thought would not matter; set up the main for reefing; get a mast topper to prevent it from turtleing (the mast was filled with foam but it was not sufficient to keep it afloat); and get back to sailing again.

Hopefully others can share their harrowing tales for all to learn. And it is fun to read.

water in the hull

JGM I appreciated seeing your post. Very similar story and yes thankfully I did not have my family with me at the time, or the dog which usually wears a life jacket as well.

I noticed in your post that the hull took on about 10 gallons of water. Mine did as well in the 60-90 minutes it remained over. I do not know how much water it was, but it took nearly 45 minutes to drain. Did you every find the source of the water. My estimation is it is from the rubber grommetted holes on the side of the hull up by the cuddy.

Did you ever find the source of the water. My estimation is it is from the rubber grommetted holes on the side of the hull up by the cuddy.

Although I never found out for sure, I suspect it was the top, front of the cuddy opening. We have a mod 2, which has a cuddy liner and the top of the liner doesn't appear to be sealed in the front. The two bungie holes you speak of are plugged in my boat so I know the water didn't get in there.

Jim

Back