Finally -- my Sunfish got in the water

Petrel

After many unrelated distractions, and a lot of reading of this great forum and help from the members, I got me ? '73 Sunfish in the water in July. July in inland New England has been one stinking heat wave. There have been a few wonderfully breezy days, and a lot that were better for spraying the poison ivy.

I love sailing this boat. I qualify as a "senior" and although I've always loved small sailboats, and learned to sail in my 20's, I cannot claim any proficiency or experience -- just some bit of talent toward physical intuition (translation: I tend to land nicely, don't tend to capsize, don't bang the rocks, wound swimmers or bean my noggin' too often).

It took me a while to get the trailer fixed, tires, and so on. I somehow had that thought that this SF was just going to take off with a will of it's own. It didn't. Partly bc I get to the launch late ;) and the wind poops out after an hour or two. Anyway, it is absolutely easy and fun and my 7 year old neighbor likes going with me; while this slows the SF, his company is worth it. I hope to show him how to sail, but maybe he should learn to swim first? He wears a PFD. (Wonder if I should put a helmet on him?)

Observations:

Easy and fun.
I have been too busy and it's been too hot to install the new bailer. I'm using a cork stopper and that works fine, but I must be doing something wrong because I've yet to have to unplug it. Guess I need more wind.

I do not care for the wooden tiller extension on my SF. I prefer fully articulated ones, so will try to find a backing plate for the Ronstan 10X hiking stick I got from a recyling center swap shop.

I check for water in the intrahull, but so far, nothing. Am I supposed to leave the drain plug out while the SF is ashore? I trailer sail.

I will need to tinker with a db tether and bungee gizmo (I responded to another post).

I probably should practice capsizing. But the lake/pond that I go to is weedy and I am not in good physcial strength, so wonder if I can pollywog my way back aboard (if I even right the SF). Thanks for the videos, Wayne.

I found that when the wind is very light or near non existant, I can sit in the cockpit with my feet over the edge. No need to reef. When I want to return to the launch, I just POINT/AIM -- it doesn't matter if the sail goes from one side to another or just hangs around whereever. I just hold the sheet with my hand for this, since then I can get a better feel. Eventually, I get to the ramp or beach. If I need to, I can use the blaze orange, telescoping plastic and aluminum paddle. I always take this w me an tether it and my ditty bag, cooler to the mast or front. I take a cheap yard sale walky talky w me so that my assistant can respond -- "Do I HAVE to come in now?" "How about YOU trying it?"
I also take a bottle of water, a tilly, and other essentials.

My dog has not yet joined me in the SF.

Ratchet block: I opted for a Harken 57C (?what's that C for?) on a stand up spring. You folks were helpful with assisting me. It works fine. But, probably bc usually the wind isn't strong, I find I don't mind using the hook that came with the SF. The mainsheet is old, cottony and comfortable to hold; it grips fine with the hook. I can appreciate how something like Sta Set might not grip as well.

I'd like to find a lazy way to pop the rudder up/down without having to climb aft, reach and manually pop it up. What do you folks do? Am I missing a beat here? I launch from a mixed ramp with scattered concrete, mushy sand, and kids fishing. I float it off our bunk trailer, sometimes moving it out by hand into 3-4 ft of water before climbing aboard; at other times getting a push.

MY BUTT: I need cushioning (FFO?), so take a gardening foam pad but have to keep shifting it from one side of the boat to another. I'm thinking of velcro-ing to me cut-offs or swimsuit. A better idea might be a thing I caught on a late night TV infomercial called something like a "booty bounce" or "booty button" --- (it was late, as I've stated). It's for those (women presumably) with no butt. The booty gizmo is like a padded bra, but for the posterior. I could slip this on beneath my swim suit (oh, sure, my bikini, oh yeah) or cut offs and it should stay in place. I bet it cost more than velcro and the garden cushion.
DEAR SUNFISH, please consider making a bony butt version of a gunwale. Something akin to the softness of a baby's binky.

BOOM: I'll have to re-read the tie point info for the gaff or boom. I like the location so far, but since the boom isn't hitting me in the head, I probably have it too close to the center (which may be too top heavy if I get a stiff breeze?). Any place for videos to be attached to posts?

I'm looking forward to sailing it again and again this summer and into the fall (wetsuit?).

Great post. Thanks for contributing this. If you can, post a picture of yourself sailing your boat. That would be fun too.

You can buy sailing shorts with padding built in. Not sure where.

Now do one more thing. Bring two more people into the sport. Sailing is dying as a sport, it is up to us to revive it.

Hooray for you!!! Hopefully I'll take my maiden voyage this weekend-- if I can get some help loading & unloading on the car. Still waiting to get the trailer :)

Great post. Thanks for contributing this. If you can, post a picture of yourself sailing your boat. That would be fun too.

You can buy sailing shorts with padding built in. Not sure where.

I have been happy with padded shorts (you stick a piece of foam inside a pocket in the back of the pants) from, among a few others, Camet and SailingAngles. Women's sizes are available (SailingAngles). I bought mine from APS.
They are not inexpensive, (mine were made in the USA), but can last a long time if you are careful. Nice (birthday, Christmas, or Hanukah) present....

PS: Kudos for taking out your young neighbor; as NightSailor already wrote, we need to get the next generation interested in our sport.

Thanks very much folks.

I had typed out a response, then somehow brushed against or touched a button or area on the screen, and POOF! I still don't know what happened.

I take the 7 year old as often as I can. I wanted to take him today too, beats him sitting around at daycare with smaller kids. But he's got to go somewhere in the early evening, so couldn't join me. I try to get other people sailing, at the risk of being obnoxious. Everyone should learn how to swim, row and sail. I run across a lot of men with girlfriends, wives or daughters and sometimes sons who don't want to go sailing. They only like to GO FAST or be passively towed on tubes. I tell them that sailboats can go very fast and be very exciting and challenging to sail. I tell them to go to YouTube and seach for performance sailing dinghies like 420's, Lasers, Finn, or go to the UK sailing sites/racing. I send them the link to the International Moth Foil on YouTube. Go and look.
It's like The Matrix Sailing page. Sailing on a pogo stick.

There are a couple of kids who do want to go for a "boat ride" on the Sunfish (or any sailboat), but they often get to the pond when I'm coming in. I keep some extra life jackets in the wagon in case they are there when I am in the evening and there's still a wind. I do want to be careful they don't get clunked with the boom or have any (even minor) mishap. Do any of you take total strangers/ or youngsters you've just met (with their parent around saying it's okay) on your small sailboats or Sunfish?

I think there are a lot of kids who would get enthused about sailing and who do not have any money or parent time to take sailing classes (none are offered around here). We don't want them to get hooked on JetSki and personal watercraft (PWC) and gas guzzling motor boats,do we? Even adults would like to learn to sail sometimes. Sailing classes tend to be pricey for many. There's a beat up buidling and another place on the shore that might lend themselves to sailing intruction venues, but the town/s at this point don't have any money or want to spend it unless it's on FOOTBALL stuff. Culture. I cannot teach sailing because I'm not certified to do so formally. I've thought about helping to coordinate a sailing program, but there would have to be more interest than I've seen. That interest might spur political will. Meanwhile there are these motor boats and PWC. All someone has to do it pay the state, get in and point it. With a lot of young folks and newcomers, there doesn't seem to be an awareness of even basic common sense and manners -- such as not zipping around and causing waves next to the launch ramp. One guy had a 500 hp NOISEY race boat out on the 85 acre pond "lake." People had tried to warn me not to sail at that pond because of motor boats. I've found most of the boaters to be decent enough, and I will not be bullied from sailing a small boat there and encouraging others to do so. I'd like to see a limit on the hp, but don't know how to begin doing that and most of those using the pond would not go for that at all.
People have commented to me that it's so nice to see a SAILBOAT on that pond. There is one other sailer the goes out. That's it.

I'm not particularly photogenic these days and my SF is an older one, but I'll try to post a couple of photos. If I could post video, I'd ask you to critique my tacking ;)

I'll try to save up for some of the padded shorts, but might have to make my own in the meantime. Thanks for the links and names for those, Wavedancer.

Attachments

• -adj_edited-1.jpg
    -adj_edited-1.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Grabbed Frame 8 Sunfish 73 note gaff-boom position 6.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 52
That was a meaty replay Petrel. I love to see posts like that.

It is great that you take kids out with you. This is how they get the "bug" for sailing. I'd really like to respond to this in depth, but I'm pretty busy today planning to re-side the house, planning for a new fence, and organizing a Sunfish gathering tomorrow-which in itself is a huge job. I hope to offer people rides tomorrow and Sunday.

Regarding teaching. I've been certified to teach in four different organizations. None of that matters a bit unless you are working for a sailing school. If you have it in you to teach and pass on some of your learning, just do it. Certifications, organizations like US Sailing, and bloated Town and City are all bureaucracies trying to milk as much money out of the community as possible--this is what is killing recreational sailing, and that in turn hurts competitive sailing. Bringing people into the sport should be done by helping each other fix old Sunfishes, put them in the water and give people a chance to sail them.

What stems the tide against all the profit seekers are the real leaders--the fine Yacht Clubs which provide wonderful leadership, cutting through the red tape, community groups that run first and worry later, and individuals like yourself who don't think about money--they think about how to make things happen.

I started a Sunfish Gathering this year and the Town of Norwalk added high fees, and complicated procedures that made it impossible to put a formal thing together on a few months notice. I'm doing it informally this year, and next year it will be more formal, or I'll move it somewhere else.

If you can get some people together to do sponsor a Sunfish Gathering in your area that will help. If you have one, I'll come. Any excuse to sail is a good excuse.

Back