Fiberglass Repair

Bamafish

Splashin' 'round
Does anyone have any recomendations for a good fiberglass repair kit? I have seen a kit at Wal-Mart by the "Bondo" corporation for about $10.00, anyone ever use this kit. Nearest West Marine is about an hour away, any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Marty

Marty,

The fiberglass repair kit will probably work fine, just don't use the "Bondo Putty" to smooth things out. The putty will absorb water and fail after a while. Many use epoxy (stinks less) instead of the polyester resin. Common brands are West Systems, MAS, System 3 and others. If your area for repair is relatively small, West Systems has a small repair kit (2 pkgs of resin) and a larger kit (6 pkgs of resin), both have glass, filer-thickener, mixing cups and other supplies. You might try ordering online and have it delivered.

Boy, he still forgets about MarineTex. Available at most all hardware stores, it's a filled exopy resin repair compound. Sands easy, is available in white, aluminum, and black. Great for anything but major repairs.

Yep, I did forget Marine-Tex, but I was not thinking putty. Many folk think of the putty that falls off your car when Bondo is mentioned, thats why I mentioned it. From the question "Does anyone have any recomendations for a good fiberglass repair kit?" I gathered he was asking about glass cloth and resin and not a putty like M-T. Hence my suggestion about the West System kits, which work very well (IMHO).

NAPA may have a kit.

I think you are looking in the right direction. There's a world of difference in the quality and longevity of a repair made using resin and cloth. Resin will wick into a crack and bond the old internal glass where putty and paste only cover the surface.

Your best bet is to order the basics from a fiberglass supplier. Resin has about a one year shelf life. You want to buy from someplace that moves the stuff.

Try Fiberglass Supply on the internet. Make your own kit.
Qt Resin $12, Yd Cloth $2, Yd Mat $2, 1/2Pt Milled Fibers $2

http://www.fiberglasssupply.com

I've done some big glass repairs but have never found a resin that will wick in to cracks. Got a brand name?? I thought the only thing that got resin to go in to a crack was a 40 grit grinding disk.
Also it is cheaper to get resin localy because of the hazmat charges $20 per package + shipping
find a local glass rat and they'll sell you some( boat yards or aoto repair joints)

Right a local shop or supply is best. Still hazmat on an order of fresh resin beats old resin from a big box.

I do a little boat work and unthickened resin has a viscosity just less than corn syrup. It wicks quite well into very small cracks. You can thin it if you really want capillary action. Normally you aren't relying on wicking. You cut out damage and build up from sound fiberglass. On Sunfish there are a couple of places wicking makes sense. A mast tube with a small leak at the deck connection. I have laid up cloth around the area and seen through the deck plate drips of resin coming through the inside. That tells me the resin found its way clear through before it kicked.

Here at the yard we buy material direct from US Composite. It comes in 55 gal drums. On the job we fix lots of different damage. A large glass repair is a pleasure yacht that found a rock at low tide. You can walk through the hole. Small is patch to my Sunfish.

Back