FAWLOLILR in Montana!

If you hurry, you can make the FIRST ANNUAL WHITEFISH LAKE ONE-LAP INVITATIONAL LASER REGATTA (FAWLOLILR) on beautiful Whitefish Lake (duh) at the foot of the Big Mountain ski resort. The bigger the title, the more serious the event.

No fee, just fun. We bought some inflatable APS buoys, poured some concrete in buckets, borrowed a Whaler for a committee boat, and we're all set. The wind often dies on this pretty little lake before 10, hence the one lap. Sometimes it blows all day.

Triangle course, cow bell for finishing. (horns are just too loud, and we're right in town at 8AM...)

Party afterwards at the city beach and up the hill at the Yot Club (Peter's house). So far we have an amazing 12 boats committed, mostly strangers, I think because we made it goofy and non-serious competition. Once they all meet each other and have fun, we've got them hooked!

And then there's no excuse for them to not sign up for next weekend's Flathead Laser Championship!

Attachments

• 2726429087_98196a09e6.jpg
    2726429087_98196a09e6.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 41
  • cfiles24567.jpg
    cfiles24567.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 38
  • TheLodge1_LoRez_000.jpg
    TheLodge1_LoRez_000.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 45
Wow... I would so go to that if it were within 500 miles of here, but if Google Maps is telling me right it's more like 1500 :eek:

We had a good turnout for a silly thing - 13 boats. Amazing. Most had never met each other. Big success, great food afterwards, some new people very excited about the boat and sailing theory. The most common reaction is at how complicated and tunable such a simple boat is. A volunteer on the comm boat said, "I've gotta get one of these!" A woman on the beach said, "I didn't even see this advertised!" (like maybe it was an official "thing")

I got second in the first race (at 8AM) with nice wind. Made my day. Fairly long course because of the deep water - marks have to be set nearish the shore on far sides of the lake, so a big triangle.

At last the wind quit and a nearby piratess swam over and flipped my boat. We just bobbed and chatted with the camera guy in a kayak to stay cool. With a throw out, that makes me second, right?! Oh well, off the podium. The hosts actually made a trophy - they found a white porcelain creamer shaped like a fish......a White...fish. Congratulations to Scott Galbraith for the win!

Anyway, I think we have a few of them hooked.

Photos when I get them! We begin planning right away for the SAWLOLILR. Next weekend is the Flathead Laser Championship - time to load your trailers people!

This was a great event for us. 13 sailors showed up, most of whom we had never met. The interest seems to be pulling other boats out of the local woodwork and we keep hearing about Laser sightings and ex-racers still living here. So the timing was perfect.

Curious wind at this lake - we started at 8AM Sat off the city beach dock in town. An odd triangular course was set due to the depth of the water. It's hard to carry three 400' spools of line in a kayak to set marks.

We were off with a whistle so as not to disturb all the homeowners. We got off one good race with nice winds (which was the whole idea of the thing) and halfway through a second before the lull came. There ensued pirate attacks on neighboring boats, bobbing in the cool water, sightseeing along the shore, and then a Hawaiian outrigger canoe headed off down the lake. All this in the shadow of Big Mountain ski resort.

After we repaired to the beach and de-rigged, a party / lunch began two blocks up the hill at Peter & Cheri's house (The Yot Club) with appropriate banners, Michigan flags, and burgees. Shrimp, lasagna, salads, local microbrew and the setting added to a fine event. Everyone had a great time and promised to come back. So begin your prep for the SAWLOLILR! We may start at 7 next year.

Congratulations again to Scott Galbraith for winning the "White Fish" and a big thanks to Peter & Cheri for a great party.

Attachments

• fleet.jpg
    fleet.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Scott sheet.jpg
    Scott sheet.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 29
  • MG heal.jpg
    MG heal.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 33
  • bobbing2.jpg
    bobbing2.jpg