Extrasport Stiletto

JohnK

I am finally going to retire my beloved 15 year old Extrasport Challenger. It has served me well, but is not very comfortable for kayaking. I was looking at the extrasport stiletto and wanted to get some opinions from other Laser sailors using this vest. It looks ideal for getting under the Laser's low boom. Is the pullover design difficult to get in and out of?

Thanks in advance,
John

Attachments

• stiletto.f_sm.jpg
    stiletto.f_sm.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 66
If you have really wide shoulder girth, it's a little difficult to put on. But, you usually are on land when you have to put it on/take it off, so that shouldn't be much of an issue.

For a US Coast approved lifejacket, it's really good for Laser sailing, the least bulky of all the Extrasports.

It's not as thin as the Euro/Down Under brands though (which aren't USCG approved, but accepted at most Laser events)

Preface: I had the good fortune of growing up at Chautauqua Lake Yacht Club where swimming was emphasized as much more important than sailing. Sailing is fun. Swimming is survival.
As a result I learned to swim well enough such that unless the water is too cold, I can swim for hours and hours.
Thank you to all the CLYC old farts and parents of the fifties. You spent your money well.
Swimming skills are only useful if the boom hasn't knocked you out. I wear a lifejacket that will turn an unconscious me me face up in the water. I wear it 100% of the time shore to shore.
When I host regattas, the rules always say "lifejackets must be worn shore to shore."

With minor editing for clarification>>>

It's not stupid as wearing the Euro/Down Under brands which aren't USCG approved, and accepted only at Laser events where the water is waist deep)

The real answer to lifejackets? Get a good comfortable life jacket that you will always feel happy to wear. Use one that will turn you over when you are not able to do it for yourself.
Before you trust that life jacket with your life, try dressing up as you plan to dress while sailing.
For guys:Foulies? Hats? Boots? Hiking pants.
For girls: Bikini bottoms?

No I didn't write that last line. Somebody must have edited it after I posted this!!

Seriously, try diving in the lake fully dressed for sailing and acting as though you are knocked out. Does the life jacket bring you back to the surface and with your face where you can breathe?

If you have to help the lifejacket, it isn't ready to be trusted.

I bought one of the early generation kayak-type life perservers that Extrasport brought out a few years ago (don't remmeber the exact type). I found it very uncomfortable. Granted I had a little more arm mobility, but I did not like the extra bulk on my torso and back. I found getting under the boom with the extra bulk very difficult.

I went back to a regular lifejacket (probably a Extrasport challenger) and have been quite happy with it. The newer Kayak-type lifejackets may be better now, but after my previous experience I don't want to switch.

had one of those, it was nice, the back got nicked on a shroud on a Santana 20, and started to rip really bad

replaced it with a Lotus Sherman, and I like it a lot better

had one of those, it was nice, the back got nicked on a shroud on a Santana 20, and started to rip really bad

replaced it with a Lotus Sherman, and I like it a lot better

I would Love to drive a Lotus!! Who is Sherman?

I think what gouv' was baiting for was something like:

Don't sail on boats with shrouds.
Don't sail on boats with lead
Don't sail on J boats?
Etc.

Yeah... tht is about right.

Just having cheap fun.

I am trying to find time to refurbish a Sidewinder so I can sail it in the "Fleet With No Class" at the Austin Centerboard regatta.
it is in my yard. The parts are in the shop. I will need to get some new sails designed and sewn.
Once in a while I love to visit with those guys. Ghey are the exact opposite of what I always THOUGHT was my philosophy. The Fleet With No Class welcomes every wierdo design that shows up. Everybody swarms new old pigs from the past and zillions of questions and warm welcoming comments spew forth.
Thye welcome a whatnot 13 with cigarette lighter and built in 8 track better than wetolerate a four digit hull number with wood blades and an Elvstrom sail.
I am trying to relearn from tehm how youthful enthusiasm workk...
By the way:

ROSS FOR VP

Our number 1 selling PFD is the Extra-Sport Stiletto for both juniors and adults. But a lot of the top Laser sailors are buying the Gill and Gul euro jackets with the caveat they are not USCG approved...

I tried out a bunch of different life jackets locally and decided to get the Extrasport Stiletto after all. The fabric is now cordura so it should be a little more durable than the older nylon style. I got it for $60 from Intensity Sails which was about half the price of some of the other styles that I was looking at.

http://www.intensitysails.com/exstpfd.html

Our number 1 selling PFD is the Extra-Sport Stiletto for both juniors and adults. But a lot of the top Laser sailors are buying the Gill and Gul euro jackets with the caveat they are not USCG approved...

I just picked up the Gill buoyancy aid this year and couldn't be happier. Definitely enough flotation and super thin.

Back