Experience with Intensity Sails?

Zoey

Okay, so it's time to buy a new Laser Radial sail, but I'm sruggling with having to pay over $500.00 for the North sail and over $600 for a Hyde sail. That's a lot of money. And, you are only getting the sail itself!

Does anyone have any experiences / opinions with the Intensity sails? $200 is very very very tempting...

Thanks,
Zoey

I thinking about getting a Radial sail this winter and (folded) it will cost me US$ 788 - and that's for the cheaper folded rather than the more expensive rolled version. And with that sail there is no dealer commission as it's direct from PSE UK. Of course I could be a good boy (as PSE prefer) and buy it in France but there I would have to pay US$ 814 (and we don't get a choice between North or Hyde).

Add to that I'll need to but a new mast section. Maybe I should investigate getting one shipped in from the US - save myself some money. Anybody know of a decent US supplier who does not use UPS for shipping ?

Ian

Zoey:

Just use the 'search' function to find out about this option. A lot has been written about these sails. To sum up (my best judgment), Intensity sails are very similar to the real thing (North or Hyde), but are illegal in 'official' racing. Whether you can use them in club races depends on the club; you should ask.

BTW, Neil Pryde also sells a (non-legal) less expensive sail; it's made from a heavier (6.5 oz) cloth and is meant for practice.

... but are illegal in 'official' racing. Whether you can use them in club races depends on the club; you should ask.
I was recently at a national Canadian event where a guy was asked to withdraw from the regatta because he was using an Intensity sail.

I had one for about a year and a half and did not notice any significant difference to the class legal sail (once I bought one of these), except for the need for more cunningham. I might have overdone it though as I did manage to tear out the head of the sail :(.

I've since rerigged my cunningham as a 6:1 and that seems to be adequate for all the conditions I've found myself in!

I had one for about a year and a half and did not notice any significant difference to the class legal sail (once I bought one of these), except for the need for more cunningham. I might have overdone it though as I did manage to tear out the head of the sail :(.

I've since rerigged my cunningham as a 6:1 and that seems to be adequate for all the conditions I've found myself in!

tried to contact you offline but your contact info is not available. Please email regarding this damage to your sail. Did you repair this? Was this just the web strap? How old was the sail when this happened?
If this needs to be repaired please return it to us so we can make the repair.

Thank you.

Back