Easy to capsize?

This is a pretty old thread but you should know that Catalina makes a 14.2 with a fixed keel that is used in many rental fleets. It is self righting so you don't need a hobie bob and as stable as a dinghy can get. When buying a boat please remember that salesmen will say anything to get you to buy a boat and paper holds anything you put on it whether true or outright lies..
I sold my Catalina 22 years ago (due to wife issues) but have kept in touch with sailing ever since. Just picked up my version 1 last October. Was aware there is a fixed keel model on the market, which was much better in the stability arena, but decided to chase a swing board version because:
1. $$$ I am on a tight budget and grabbed mine for $1200, only a 5 hour drive to seal the deal. Most of the ones I saw for sale would have posed a major transportation problem getting to Chicago.
2. Being a singlehander, I preferred the beachability and ease of the lightweight boat for launch/retrieve/and general trailer handling.
3. Out of the 3 times I got out last October one of them was in 20 + winds. Sailed with main only and with vigilance was able to keep good control. The boat handled well. Even got my treasured hat
knocked off and was able to retrieve it while underway!
4. Since I bought mine for cheap that left me with some $$ to invest in improvements. Specifically to address the "tender boat" problem. So I will:
a. Modify jib to roller furling. That will give the option of jib usage depending on my take on wind speeds, even if I'm underway.
b. Install reef points on the main. Then I could decide how to set up the main before leaving the dock. I think running under reefed main only would tolerate some pretty strong winds.
c. Do the "Hobie Baby Bob" option for the top of the mast to guarantee no turtling.
d. Install boarding ladder on the stern to make recovery easier after righting the boat. Plus being able to cool off on hot light air days.

As previously stated, I would have preferred to have the fixed keel version. But only if it was possible to wet moor it for the season. Mine will be stored on trailer at a small local park district lake, all rigging left up and ready to go. Also will be doing a lot of "grab and go" trailering as there are a lot of nice medium sized lakes within close proximity and I plan to get out on those also. Even Lake Michigan when the forecasts are favorable. So I'm confident I can make this work!

The first thing that occurs to any nonsailing person, when looking at sailboat underway, is that it is potentially risky. I have friends who will never join me for a sailboat ride because of the fear that the boat will capsize and toss them into the drink. As sailors, we understand the risks and mitigate the danger by adjusting the controls and balancing the forces. So the fact that one must be ready to let the sheets out, or shift their weight, is all part of sailing experience. There is a point; however, when the continuous application of control seriously suppresses the pleasure of the sailing experience. Sailboat characteristics that reward the racing sailor with speed, may be an annoyance to the casual daysailor out for a simple pleasant cruise.

My point is this:

The 14.2's hull, despite its width, does not have a hard enough chine to provide fundamental stability. Passenger weight shift is more critical than most sailboats, but you get speed.

The sail plan is too big for a boat with a 340 lb. weight and a hull of this configuration, but its good in light air.

The standing rigging is too heavy and may make it top heavy in a turn, but its as tough as nails.

The rudder is too small to afford quick, and sometimes critical, directional compensation, but it is light and easy to turn.

You can add a larger rudder, and reduce the sail plan, (as members of our forum suggest), but you can't do anything about the hull or the standing rigging.

In short, if you want to have a great day-sail and a relaxing afternoon, you better get a different boat. I learned the hard way. I bought a brand new 2007 14.2 only to find how sensitive the boat really is. I did not believe that Catalina would sell a boat like this and market it as a "Family Daysailer". I tried to contact the factory about my concerns three (3) times without any response. Odd, because when I had questions about a possible purchase, they contacted me in a matter of hours. Fact is, they know about the capsize ratio being poor, (3.58). Why do you think they introduced the fixed weighted bulb keel model? Even that did not do much good.

I am so convinced of this problem that I am selling my new boat. If you think otherwise, and are looking for a new 14.2, then check the classified section of this website. I can give you a great deal on aboat that will keep you busy.

Mooseman

Oh dear, sorry about that... I must’ve clicked the post reply button accidentally, this is my first post, can you tell? ;-)
I know this thread is 11 years old but I just wanted to take a moment to thank Mooseman for this thread and his kind cautionary words of wisdom. After reading all of this thread, it has settled a question for me (and because of this, my husband will be thrilled!). I just bought my first sailboat! $250 for a Holder 14. It’s in great shape, just needs to be cleaned up which I will do today... the sails are in great shape, the trailer is old and my husband will have to work on it but he likes doing that sort of thing, for the most part. There is a Catalina Capri 14.2 for sale on craigslist an hour away and I have been obsessed for the last 24 hours thinking I should go buy it for $1,000 and sell my “new” little Holder 14 (even though I haven’t sailed it yet! Because I don’t know how to sail! ). My attraction to the Capri 14.2 was that I wouldn’t have to duck to avoid the boom. Thanks to Mooseman, I understand now that the Capri 14.2 is definitely not for me... a shaky new sailor ( living with a slightly more experienced sailor and three boys). I am 50 and I don’t really want to go in the drink. If I don’t have to. And I’d like to take my gal friend out (with our dogs) eventually and I definitely don’t want us all to end up in the drink!
I thought it was unfortunate that the other Capri 14.2 owners had such fragile egos (speaking of tender!) that they had to bash his attempts to help new folks like me. I really appreciated his honesty and thoroughness. He saved me and my husband a lot of money, time and frustration. Now I’m free to fully embrace and learn on my sweet little Holder 14 and move up to a bigger boat only when I’ve earned my stripes. That’s what these forums are for. Thanks Mooseman, if you’re still out there! You are my hero!

I find my Mod 2 (1992) Capri 14.2 to be anything but tender. It's a very stable boat that only tries to dump me in the water if I'm stupid enough to go out in winds above 20mph... And even then I have to do something dumb, like fail to sheet out when it starts to tip over.

In light to moderate winds, the conditions the 14.2 was designed for, it's just fine... but to each their own.

Congratulations on the new boat! :cool: I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it.