early and late season sailing

danburke

I have gone from keelboat to a laser and not being in the water right now is driving me nuts! What sort of dinghy apparel should I be investing in to safely extend the sailing season?

Where do you live/sail? What are the water/air temperatures?

I ended last season with a neoprene steamer 5/3 mm air temperatures around 7 degrees Celsius and started with a new drysuit in temperatures about the same, but the water was colder. I prefer the drysuit.

I sail on Lake St.Clair, Ontario, Canada. The water temperatures right now is approx. 40 F but will warm up very quickly. My main concern right now is if something happens which would put me in the water for any length of time, hypothermia would ruin my day. I have looked at drysuits, but do they provide warmth? do you combine a drysuit with additional layers?

I sail on Lake St.Clair, Ontario, Canada. The water temperatures right now is approx. 40 F but will warm up very quickly. My main concern right now is if something happens which would put me in the water for any length of time, hypothermia would ruin my day. I have looked at drysuits, but do they provide warmth? do you combine a drysuit with additional layers?

You have to wear additional layers, long underwear, fleece, wool, or I even know of people who wear wetsuits inside their dry suits. 40 is quite cold. I'd wear several layers in it.

Hi,
if one sails in cold conditions it is better to wear several layers, like Merrily already told.
When I bought my stuff for cold conditions my basic thought was, to one side: to find an optimum between not to feel cold during the sailing and to the other side: not to feel uncomfortable in reason of to much stuff I wear. Also: my wallet is not to big. It's a "tightrope walk" I did learn... I decided to wear "funktional underwear" from biking (it's good enough for me, but cheap) as the base layer. For the mid layer I wear a Polyester-fleece "underall" of "Helly Hansen" (expensive but very warm and comfortable) or of "Magic Marine" (much cheaper than the "HH"-underall but not as warm). For the outer layer I wear a full-"GoreTex" Drysuit (the pre modell of the "Ocean" from "Dry Fashion"). Over the Drysuit I wear a hiking pant (such as the "Freedom pant" of Magic Marine). In reason I use the "Zhik" hiking strap, I use Zhik's hiking boots, but Magic Marine's "Regatta boots" or the old fashioned racing boots of "Aigle" will do it, too. For my fingers I wear simple sailing gloves. (In attachment you see the "fat" frostbite stuff I wear, but it was not much more than 45°F air temp....)

Short aft I bought my stuff for frostbite sailing, spring- and summer sailing, UK's Laser pro Steve Cockerill published his "Rooster Layered DS System". In my opinion he made a great work. If my stuff in future is worn out, I definitely change to roostersailings products. You sail in Canada, so contact "jdemarine" at Edmonton for more information about roostersailing. Here is a link that explains the "Rooster Layered DS System":

http://www.roostersailing.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=allwc&Store_Code=1

Ciao
LooserLu

Attachments

• Frostbite sailing at lake Constancy 2006.jpg
    Frostbite sailing at lake Constancy 2006.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 51
Do not forget to protect your head. The head is an important region for heat loss. So consider wearing adequate thermal protection. Bear in mind that without protection a 50 year old, only survives 50 minutes in 50F water temperatures.
(survival of the fattest :)

Back