Drying old hull

ed_hall

I've got a solid but slightly overweight Laser Hull. I know the traditional methods of drying, but was wondering if anyone had tried using those dehumidifying pellets available from hardware stores.

I figured if I poured a couple of bags in the hull and left it tilted for a couple weeks the moisture and the pellets would be gone!

Any comments?

I have an old hatch bag that I have cut open and taped netting into. I place dessication tablets in the net and hang in the hull for a week.

Why not open up all the inspection covers, bung plug etc, set it on saw horses(or the dolly), drap plastic sheeting over it and on the ground to seal it up, and put a dehumidifier under it?
Is that the traditional method?
Alternatively you could take it somewhere hot and dry, Arizona say, or better yet in your case NorthAfrica and let it sit around in the desert for a few weeks. That'd dry the sucker out!

I like the North Africa idea but with petrol at 75 pence per litre it doesn't seem like it would be very cost effective.

Also, my house has no garage and if it did, it would probably be stuffed with too much junk to fit the Laser.
The boat is stored on racks on the beach exposed to the elements. It also has no inspection covers and I hate to put them in (even though I would like to replace those water filled blocks that are supposed to provide boyancy.)

Your backyard or an unused corner of your sailing compound would work, as long as you could reach it with a power cord...........
Remember, plastic over AND underneath.

Back