Drilling hole in bottom of top section plug

PeterInTassie

Is there any rules issues with drilling a couple of drain holes in the bottom plug of the top section? After daughter's session yesterday there was a litre or so of water in the top section (which is brand new by the way). I'm reluctant to leave the water in there as the top section has been just replaced after the old one broke due to the usual corrosion around the sleeve rivets etc, and I'd like to delay this occuring to the new one for as long as possible

thanks

Peter In Tassie

Re: Driiling hole in bottom of top section plug

Since drilling a hole is not specifically permitted, one must assume that it would be ruled illegal for racing.

Re: Driiling hole in bottom of top section plug

I just realized that a better solution to drilling a hole which might end up leaking more would be to drill out the rivets holding the bottom plug and pull the plug off. It's not that much more work than drilling a drain hole. That way you can get all the water out and even rinse it with fresh water if you were sailing on the ocean. Then, once the inside has dried out you can replace the plug and the rivet and seal up all the rivets with a dab of silicone to keep the water out in the future. Technically that's still probably "illegal" if you get someone who wants to be a nudge about it. But hey, sailing badly isn't "specifically permitted" in the class rules either and no one is going around tossing out us guys at the back of the fleet!

Steve Orosz

You want those spars to be as water tight as possible. If your daughter is out sailing, and capsizes, and the top section gets lots of water in it, it will be very difficult for her to right the boat without outside assistance.

I don't have a rules book at home, but you don't want lots of water getting in there.

Rebuild it and seal it right this time.

Preventative maintenance shall include the replacement of fastenings with alternatives and the reversing of spars provided that the fittings are replaced in accordance with the Measurement Diagrams (tolerances shall not be used to alter the position of fittings) and that any holes in the top section of the mast are permanently sealed with a rivet or similar to maintain the buoyancy of the mast.

Rebuild it and seal it right this time.
Preventative maintenance shall include the replacement of fastenings with alternatives

I broke a top section over the weekend, and will be buying a new one this week. The rule allows for "alternatives". Would an acceptable alternative be an adhesive, and completely bypass the rivet?

The worst part about losing the top section was not so much having to buy a new one, but the sailing time I lost having to limp back in while the rest of the group were out sailing in near perfect Laser conditions.

I wouldn't think there would be any problems with drilling a few holes, but like WestCoast said, it may become very hard for her to right the boat by herself, and if the rules dont specifically say not to, then i'd go right on ahead.

I wouldn't think there would be any problems with drilling a few holes, ...and if the rules dont specifically say not to...

What Gouvernail has posted above is qouted directly from the current rule. If you drill holes in the top section, they must be permanantly sealed. Kind of defeats the purpose of drilling a hole for drainage.

Back