Dolly wheels, What options that work to get away from inflatable tires?

shorefun

I am involved with a yacht club.
They have many dollies and often they tire is just shot from the sun or the tubeless tire is off the rim.

Solid plastic wheels seem very expensive for just being plastic. Tube ones are not so bad to deal with as you can get new tubes.

The real solution is solid plastic wheels, but they are around $34 ea. I believe there has to be a much lower cost source of a wheel that will work fine. Does anyone know of a source?

Has anyone had real success with a foam filling?
One issue is when a tubeless tire is off the rim, the filling process will not reseat the tire.

I would like to hear what people have done and how well it has actually worked over time.

Thanks!

A quick spray or two of starting fluid and a grill lighter will “pop” the tire and reseat it on the rim. Just be careful, obviously.

No beach sand, just small rocks and down a ramp to the water. Still needs to be large enough to clear the stop at the bottom.

I have a metal lathe, but it’s only 9”. Yes those thoughts crossed my mind.
OK, that's a 4.5" throw.

Near you, I'll bet there's a wood lathe on Craigslist for less than $100. A lot of suitable wood wheels can be made quickly on a wood lathe. Use dense Lignum Vitae or Ebony if sinking is important.

Back