Digital Compass for blind old men ?

Thread starter #1
There was some chatter a while back about allowing the use of the digital readout compasses (the ones that don't track headers/lifts) at NA Masters events.

Any update on this ? Christmas is coming, as is the Fla circuit.
 
#2
I remember that at CORK a few years back one Laser sailor in the silver fleet was using a digital compass. Totally illegal of course but, as far as I know, nobody protested him.
 
#3
49208 said:
There was some chatter a while back about allowing the use of the digital readout compasses (the ones that don't track headers/lifts) at NA Masters events. ...
Hi,
I remember that thread (was about a compass from Tacktic, that is offered at APS Ltd.), but think there is no news to that until now.

Several time ago, I searched the laser.org email-list and found an old email-reply that Jeff Martin posted at Nov 17th 1997 (nearly 8 years ago) to the subject "Tactick compasses and other electronics":
"In the Laser World June 1996 we ballotted members on wether to prohibit electronic compasses. In the Laser World March 1997 we published the result of the ballot which was 194 for prohibiting and 10 againstFollowing that ballot we submitted a proposal for a rule change to International Sailing Federation meetings this November. It was accepted and a new class rule will be introduced in 1998."

I think that that rule is in use without a change until now.

Ciao
LooserLu
 

gouvernail

Active Member
#4
From the ILCA website 11-15-05:

22. COMPASS
One compass is permitted mounted on any part of the deck or the cockpit provided that the hull cavity is not pierced by anything other than the fasteners. Compasses shall not be fitted to inspection ports. Electronic and digital compasses are prohibited.
 
Thread starter #5
Yeah, I'm aware of the class rule, I was hoping that the NA masters were going to try something "experimental" to make it more enjoyable and perhaps level the playing field somewhat.

Humm, I think I have heard that request somewhere else 'round here
 

gouvernail

Active Member
#6
49208 said:
Yeah, I'm aware I was hoping masters were going to try something "experimental" to make it more enjoyable and perhaps level the playing field somewhat.

Humm, I have heard that request here

Perhaps we should supply ourselves with a tad of sense and simply state in our sailing instructions we will allow ".....any simple compass which displays only headings and has no automatic memory features. "

Digital compasses now cost less than the compassses most of us have used for years.

Banning the digital compass is as absurd as banning digital watches.
 
#7
gouvernail said:
Perhaps we should supply ourselves with a tad of sense and simply state in our sailing instructions we will allow ".....any simple compass which displays only headings and has no automatic memory features. "

Digital compasses now cost less than the compassses most of us have used for years.

Banning the digital compass is as absurd as banning digital watches.

except that, like with calculators, it may be hard to determine via simple inspection what a digital compass's capabilities really are.
 

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
#8
gouvernail said:
Digital compasses now cost less than the compassses most of us have used for years.
Sorry Gouvernail; that simply isn't true. APS lists the TK061 Tacktick microcompass for $349. And I am not sure how legible this one really is for blind old folks.
 

49208

Tentmaker
Thread starter #9
Wavedancer said:
Sorry Gouvernail; that simply isn't true. APS lists the TK061 Tacktick microcompass for $349. And I am not sure how legible this one really is for blind old folks.
It's digits are at least twice as large as a normal compass. I've used on on some of the other boats I sail and It's much easier to read. It also has a countdown timer so you don't need to spend another 100 bucks on the Ronstan big digit watch...
 

gouvernail

Active Member
#10
Bushnell sells a digital compass which is currently listed on Amazon for $44.95.

All you need is some duct tape and plastic and a clean place next to the centerboard trunk and you have a compass.
My point related to price no longer being a valid reason for a general blanket ban applied to all digital compasses.
There may or may not be other good reasons for banning digital compasses. Price is no longer one of the reasons. Availability is not a reason either.
 
#11
Methinks I'm gonna take my tacktick to the masers midwinters...just for the heck of it. Hell, I can't even see the standard compass.
 

Wavedancer

Upside down?
Staff member
#12
gouvernail said:
Bushnell sells a digital compass which is currently listed on Amazon for $44.95.
Wow, what a great price. I am going to take a look at that one. I guess Tacktick has real competition :D. Thanks!
 
Top