Different sails??

madyottie

Apprentice
hi all,
does anyone know whether the rumour I have recently heard is true or not?
I was told by a local sailmaker that Laser have switched from the 3.8oz cloth to a new 3.45oz variant.
if this is the case, should I be rushing out to get one of the last 3.8's or waiting to get the first 3.45??
I need a new sail like, last millenia, so any comments would be greatly appreciated!

And the source ot the knowledge that squashes this rumor??

Would be??

C'mon this is true...really. Cross my heart and hope Timmy dies.

EVERYTHING on the internet is true isn't it??

As I understand the plans for the new lighter sail...

There is a problem with obtaining consistent cloth at 3.8 oz. A supplier in Hasplandia Minor has agreed to supply single stitched seams and Rayon fabric at 3.456 oz. ( plus or minus 6.3 oz) The battens will be heated and melted to the sails to eliminate some labor and the pesky batten tip in the pocket problem.
Tests with these new sails showed that while on shore the sailors with the new sails were competitive with other sailors who had not yet rigged. The sails seemed to last very well in the original bag and showed no signs of wear in an extensive set of tests involving throwing the sails in a corner and ignoring them for a month.
The new sails will cost our builders approximately 1/4 to 1/3 as much per unit as the current sails and that savings will be passed to the stockholders.
Introduction of the new sails is planned for the Miami Olympic Classes regatta because there will be no wind and the new design has been well tested on days when no one felt like sailing.

This information is as accurate as a bunch of other stuff I have read in other places and I therefore think it might be just as true.

Unofficially stated July 27, 2007

OK, so I'll just go and get one! but I might just ask the man at laser to be sure!
Hey gouv, enjoy the picnics, but I think hibernation could be difficult, since we all love sailing!

Back