different rigs question

darb85

Hello,

I am a decent sailer, race on a 55 foot schock right now and love it, but miss my little boat. There is a decent fleet of Lasers here so im thinking about buying one to get back into little boat sailing but I have a question on lasers.

Whats the difference between a 4.7, Full, Pro and radial rig? When I had my snipe i didnt have to worry about this but considering im thinking about buying this for both racing and the occasional day sail in the bays and lakes around here I just dont know which one to buy.

Thanks in advance!

Brad

The laser 4.7 is more of a transitional boat for those just getting out of optis (it is the smallest size), Laser radial is used in most youth regattas and by most females (medium sail), the laser full rig is used by the bigger guys who have enough wieght to keep the boat flat(biggest boat). The laser Pro setup is an easier system for playing with all of the control lines, as compared to the old style rig which has less purchase on nearly all of the control lines. When choosing a boat, most people do it buy body weight if u are under 140 lbs i think u would be in the radial above that the full rig

ah! got it. perfect thanks!

Full rig it is at 175 I think ill hold her down.

Is the pro option worth going for?

So, the hull/rigging is the same between the three and the mast top section (length) and sail (size/area) are the only difference?

Back