Desperate need of repair/help

jshrop91

Hey all new to the forum,
alright so about 3 years ago i came into owning a sunfish, someone i used to work with gave it to me, but i dont know any details on it, well it needed some work and seeing as i live in fl you would think you could find a boat repair place for a sailboat, but most places only deal with motorboats. anyways my lil brother was a sailing fanatic which is the reason i got the boat, and after he passed i was really hoping to fix the boat and get it up and running so that i and the rest of my family can enjoy the boat. so below are two pictures of the sunfish we have. if it sits for much longer im afraid my mother with toss it to the garbage men. i know it needs 3 things right off the bat; new rudder, dagger board, and possible new rigging to go with the sail, i have no idea about the actual body of the boat. so if anyone can tell me whether this is worth salvaging or can help me find someone to contact that does repairs that's not to insane on the charge and is somewhat locall, id very much appreciate it. i can travel somewhat, so location isnt to bad... thanks for the help.
sunfish1.jpg
sunfish2.jpg

Welp, she's in pretty rough shape. You'll need a new sail, by the looks of it. The coaming, or splashguard, also looks to be missing. And the bow handle, too.

You might get in touch with Signal Charlie (Kent) - he is in Florida, I think, and has a knack for fixing up older Sunfish.

You have a post 1972 Sunfish hull and as long as the hull is not damaged (too badly) and doesn't weigh too much (say over 150 lbs.) you can certainly restore it and sail it, I can tell from the photos that you are missing a bow handle, the mainsheet bridle (that attaches to the two deck eyes on the aft end of the deck) and a splashrail. Haunt the "For Sale" department here on the Forum and you will find people who sell these parts used (me included.)

Step one: clean the hull with soap and water and then try 10o% household bleach to the deck (wear eye protection and rubber gloves.) Let the bleach sit for a time in the sun and then rinse with lots of water. This will kill the organic matter and give you a better idea of what other repairs might be needed.

It looks like the underbody of the boat has been painted. You may want to sand most if the old paint off and re-coat. Rustoleum
Marine paint is a good, inexpensive paint that you can roll on and then tip smooth with a wide foam brush.

Refinish the wood parts, install the missing parts and go for it.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

We have all seen a lot worse, including in recent threads here. As suggested, check the hull weight and get an idea of how big a project this is. On the surface, you don't need paid help for this, especially if the hull is leak free. But please get the hull weight before you start spending real money. If it is under, say, 130 I'd forgo cosmetics and jump right in and put together a nice sailing vessel.

Again, all this depends on the hull watertightness (weight is an indicator). If it's heavy, I'd slow down and we can work through this with you; don't spend money until you know what's involved.

Assuming the hull is good I'd head to the Intensity Sails site, www.intensitysails.com, and do my shopping there. I'd start with their $15 (or so) mainsheet and halyard, and $9 traveller (and $5 for the traveller eyes). And if $125 doesn't scare you off, spring for the sail. Their $12 Sail clips are optional but convenient; if you want to you can use line to tie off (anyone here would probably give you some, gratis) but that's fussier. If you want to get fancy and are feeling flush you can get their $18 bow handle. They have most of the other stuff you might find you need.

I really, really like those paddle/fishing rod clips!

You are probably a lot closer to getting underway than you think. I'd clean up the bottom for performance purposes, and also maybe the areas you sit, and if you are ambitious continue from there. But don't sweat cosmetics.

Also, if there is a sailing club anywhere nearby, consider joining and making some sailing friends. That makes all the difference.

From what I see, I like your Sunfish.

Reactions: tag

Back