Design flaw or operator error?

johnkent

I'm fairly new to laser sailing, came from sunfishes.
When I'm sailing at a run, with the sail out quite a bit, and I jibe, often the main sheet will get caught on the stern corner as it makes it's way over to the other side. Most of the time I don't know it until I realize I can't sheet out, by then it's too late and I'm doing the back stroke in the water. This never happens close hauled as there is not enough sheet out, only when I have plenty of sheet out. I've tried to sheet in some before coming-about, but this does not really work well, and it seems like a clumsy way to come about. Design flaw or operator error? Please tell me this happens to someone else besides me. Advice? thanks.

Both!

It is a problem with the boat, but with experience, you can stop it from happening - the primary way is to give the mainsheet a big (quick) pull just as the boom is coming across. It does take some practice, but with the proper technique you can prevent it from happening.

It still happens to me sometimes - it seems usually before the start when I am maneuvering, and I think that is because I am focused on other things. You also start to get the feeling of something not being right, and taking a quick look back to check, and working on your dive back to the corner to fix it quickly before you get into trouble.

Last night I gave my mainsheet a big pull as my boom was coming across, and it had the result of wrapping the mainsheet around the end of the boom. That was way worse than the corner, because you need to pull the boom to centre and hold onto it to fix it, which is a pain going downwind (and slow - that is my excuse for that race). What was I doing wrong?

While you are turning you should be sheeting your sail in... Then when you see your sail starting to luft or when your sail started to lose it's air you tug the mainsheet hard and quick to accelerate the gybe... if you time it perfectly and roll the boat as you pull the sail over... You will end up wit an amazing roll gybe!!!

And yes it is a problem in your technique and a flaw in the boat design... But it is an easy fix in your technique that will require a little time of practice...

As has already been said this is a flaw that can be overcome with good technique.

In practice it is good to teach either a sharp tug on the mainsheet (for boat where the mainsheet traveller is it the transom) or by grabbing the falls (on a true centre main boat).

With a little practice you will know how big a tug you will need to give.

Do expect to still catch the corner every now and then or wrap the sheet round the end of the boom, I find this always happens when i am in need of a good clean gybe and get anything but!

Do expect to still catch the corner every now and then or wrap the sheet round the end of the boom, I find this always happens when i am in need of a good clean gybe and get anything but!

Very true. If your attention is diverted while gybing - waves, mark rounding, etc. - that is when it is going to catch.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll start working on the "flick" method, I've already been working on the "dive to the corner" maneuver, there should be a term for that move.

I gave up the flick for grabbing the sheet at the block on the boom and pulling it as far as possible with one pull as the boom is coming across. It takes the slack out and works consistently better than the flick.

I gave up the flick for grabbing the sheet at the block on the boom and pulling it as far as possible with one pull as the boom is coming across. It takes the slack out and works consistently better than the flick.

This is what I do as well. I sheet in a bit as a curve up to start the gybe, then as the boom starts to come across I grab the sheet right below the boom block and give it a huge yank, not letting go until the boom has fully crossed.. Usually works.

Back