Deck prep before sealant for deck plate

Repete

Sunfish1909
What can I do to insure the footprint area of the deck plate is free of wax or other materials to insure a great seal? I have cut my port opening and sanded the edges to deburr everything. Should I sand with 600 wet and wipe just the footprint area, that will be covered, with acetone to remove any wax, etc.? Thank you in advance.

Repete,
Keep in mind that acetone will stain cured white gel coat yellow. Also #600 might not give enough bite. I've always traced with a pencil sanded with #180 wiped with palox alcohol. No worries. The acetone should be used on gel repairs where wet sanding will knock off the yellow haze. Never use tone on any gel that won't be sanded there will be a yellow swipe.

Thanks for the information about acetone. I was leary of how aggressive that stuff is. I will use some 120 grit since I have the package. What exactly is PALOX alcohol. Is this available at an auto parts store or paint outlet?

Its denatured alcohol. I think most of the cans say palox denatured alcohol. The other thing to keep in mind is acetone does a # on your liver.

Back