Deck Painted What's Next?

dhopper

I painted my sunfish over the last few weeks. After spending a good amount of time on sanding and repairing small gouges and filling holes, she's done. I used Epifanes - Yacht Enamel monourethane. It is an outstanding product. A mirror finish is the result of all my hard work. My question is, what do I do next? Do I leave it alone, buff it or wet sand it and buff it?

I'd think if you got a mirror finish that's as good as it gets. Maybe clear wax it for protection in a few weeks once the paint has totally cured. What do the Epifanes people recommend?

I painted my sunfish over the last few weeks. After spending a good amount of time on sanding and repairing small gouges and filling holes, she's done. I used Epifanes - Yacht Enamel monourethane. It is an outstanding product. A mirror finish is the result of all my hard work. My question is, what do I do next? Do I leave it alone, buff it or wet sand it and buff it?

Your title states that you painted the deck. Or did you point the entire hull?

Regarding the deck, I don't recommend waxing it (would make it too slippery).

Regarding the hull, wet sanding is used by racers for the extra 1% (which may all be in the head anyway). In other words, what you want to do next will depend on what your goals are.

As Dan wrote, getting advice from Epifanes couldn't hurt.

I am getting ready to paint the bottom of my 1968 Sunfish. I have looked at both the Epifanes and West Marine products. I will be painting in a garage using brushes and rollers. ( I have a compressor but have never sprayed anything). How did you apply the Epifanes? Any big challenges with it?
My deck is ugly but I only hack around and don't want to get it too slippery. I am painting the bottom for protection since I had to sand some god-awful red bottom paint off.

Dave G

Regarding the deck, I don't recommend waxing it (would make it too slippery).
What do you use for sun protection?

I protect my boat with a teflon type UV shielding wax for fiberglass.

I read that some sailboard traction wax gets rid of the slipperyness. Picked up a stick and put a little swipe where I sit. Rubbed it around with a cloth. No more slippery.

Back