deck cracks

MrBill

I'm looking at buying a used Laser (1989). This boat is obviously "used" but seems well outfitted, has been competitive in club racing, the hull side seems to be in good condition (not soft) and it seems to be dry. However, the deck especially where one sits seems very soft, and there is extensive cracking along the edge at the corner between the deck and the side of the cockpit. There are also miscellaneous cracks in the cockpit floor and around some fittings.

I'd buy it but am concerned about the cracking and soft deck. The seller says this is "normal" for a Laser. Except for the cracking it seems like a good buy. Any advice as to how big an issue this cracking along the edge is and can it be easily repaired?

what number is it??

from recollection, there were a few boats around the 120xxxsail number which have suffered with this, and the only solution is redecking...

i'd give it a miss. not good.

I have boat 121821 which I believe is around that time period. I does not have any major issues aside from there are cracks appearing around the edge of the cockpit floor. I would imagine I will need to give this some attention soon. The floor does not flex significantly though.

From the sounds of it the boat has been used quite hard.

If you take the fittings off you will probably see some cracking around the screw holes, if there is any visible cracking where the fittings are and the deck is obviously soft I would give it a miss....

Are they structural cracks or just eggshell type cracks in the gel-coat? I would imagine a boat that is 20yrs old would have some gel-coat stress cracks. If they are thru the glass then run awaY!

Back