Deck controls

nutzuns

More an observation and sure it doesn't make any real difference, but as the mast rotates, does that not tighten the newer deck mounted cunningham/outhaul in the process?:confused:

Your observations are correct.

Going back to some high school geomemtry, using the Pythagorean theorem, and using the following rough distances as the sides of the right angle :
24" and 5"
ends up telling us the the distance between the deck block and the upper cunningham block or the block at the gooseneck for the gooseneck increases approx 1/2" when the boom is approx at right angle to centerline as it would be when running. Now divide that by the purchase (minimum 4 to 1, as high as 8-1) and the amount that the cunningham ring or outhaul is miniscule.

That's the effect when running, where the outhaul and cunningham are typically at max ease/slack so movement of 1/8" of a clew or cunningham is about as low on the list of things that are important at it gets. Upwind, the increase in distance is is cut in half at least so it's pretty much a non-issue.

Oddly, I once ran a line to my bow cleat for use as a mast retaining line... the line got snagged around the vang tang, and after a particulaly spectaculat capsize and righting, the sail ended up rotating completely round the boat.

I remember being surprised at how easily the force of the sail removed the bow cleat... "Hmmm... this boat has a little bit of power"

Another good point/observation.

1. The bow cleat is easily pulled - don't count on the bow eye for much of anything other then a place to tie off your centerboard bungee or mounting a wind indicator, unless you go to the trouble to epoxy the screws in and use some 5200 to stick the eye to the deck.

2. If you have the upgraded or pro controls, never tie your mast retaining line directly from the deck block base to the vang tang on the mast. That's a sure recipe for bending or ripping the deck plate off. Vanguard shows one way to do it in their rigging guide here http://www.teamvanguard.com/2005/downloads/Laser_Rigging.pdf

Back