deck color

DK Sailor

You know how the old boat decks are like yellow well is there a way to make it whiter with out paint.
Thanks

The NA boats up to about 90,000 had an off white deck that in my shop was matched by using six ounces of white gelcoat pigmented by dipping a wooden tongue depressor in some buff pigment and then stirring the white / buff mix with that same tongue depressor.

The buff pigment was a yellow brown mix and named after the skin color of a person in the buff. I imagine the namer of that pignment must have lived where it was sunny, the population was caucasian, and the naming happened in mid summer.

If your boat is newer and not grey on the deck, you may be able to slightly remove the yellowing with a very harsh rubbing compound.. Were you to remove the stickers on the aft cockpit wall, you would find the original gelcoat color underneath. Usually, when we remove a name or other sticker that has protected gelcoat for more than a year, the protected area will always show.

When a boat has a name on it and a new owner changes the name, we buff, we sand, we polish and we usually don't succeed in making the difference in color go away. In fact, I know of at least one 30 year old yellow boat whose name was changed in 1982 and whose original name shadow after years of buffing and waxing and weather exposure still shows.

Back